Breathable wader repair.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
It's that time of year again when many of us start wearing waders once again. If you haven't checked for pin holes in a while, it's probably a great time to do a quick check before you next outing because it's no fun to feel that cold spot develop that might cut your day short.

Here's a video showing how quick and easy repairs can be. The only difference is that I used Loon's UV Wader Repair instead of Aquaseal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzo9jgPjo_s

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
John: Thanks for posting that helpful info, indeed this is the time of year to be in dry waders. After repairing my old waders 3-4 times this year I finally gave up and bought a new pair going into the cold season.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Yea, Larry, there finally comes a time when enough is enough. What did you buy?
I had to buy new ones a couple years ago, the old ones lasted over 10 yrs, replaced Simms 'guide weights' with Simms G4's.

A couple weeks ago on The Grande Ronde I felt a cool, slight trickle on the back of my right calf, so today I turned my waders inside out, spritzed them with water/alcohol and found the small pin hole along with a few others I hadn't noticed and got them patched so hopefully I'm good to go for the rest of the Steelhead season.:)

siege

Reaction score
Thanks for the refresher course, John. Good video !
When I need to repair my waders, however, it may take a while to search it out again.......UNLESS....
You make a stickie out of the post. It's worthy !

rott21

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to pack some along, It might come in handy after beating my way through the pricker bushes . :frogdance

unrooted

Reaction score
Just as an FYI: my wife's Cloudveil waders came with UV Aquaseal about 4 years ago, I opened and used it then, and hadn't touched it since, 2 weeks ago I had a seam on my wader leaking so I pulled out the 4 year old Aquaseal expecting it to be all dried up, but to my surprise it was still perfect, so don't be scared to spend the $6 on it and keep it in your waders chest pocket. . . that stuff is magic!

fenix84

Reaction score
So what exactly causes these pin holes? Is it from abrasions cause if that was the case wouldn't the holes be much larger? Or does it just happen over time?

markfrid

Reaction score
Just as an FYI: my wife's Cloudveil waders came with UV Aquaseal about 4 years ago, I opened and used it then, and hadn't touched it since, 2 weeks ago I had a seam on my wader leaking so I pulled out the 4 year old Aquaseal expecting it to be all dried up, but to my surprise it was still perfect, so don't be scared to spend the $6 on it and keep it in your waders chest pocket. . . that stuff is magic!
Another vote here for Aquaseal. 3 weeks ago I was hiking cross country in my waders from the river to pick up the trail home and I got my feet tangled up in an old barbed wire fence which was laying on the ground under the leaves. Being the graceful fella that I am, I did a face-plant, somehow avoiding falling on my rod. However, I did land on some more fence and punched two nice holes in my waders, just above the knee. I still planned on fishing 2 more days, but with holes just above the knee, I thought my wading was done for.

I drove to the nearest tackle store, which had an Aquaseal Wader Repair Kit. I used the Tenacious Tape clear patch on the outside of the waders, turned them inside out and used the Aquaseal and the cloth patch on the inside - as per the directions. Completely good to go. Went from Oh S***! to Oh Yeah! in about 10 minutes!!

Mark

yikes

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old pair of Chota Hippies, and there is one foot that is always wet, yet I can't seem to find the leak. They've had leaks before (my local stream has thorny vines), and I've found them using both light and/or filling with water while inside out. Aqua seal worked great. But I just can't find this last leak. Any suggestions? 3rd party wader repair.

jofer

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old pair of Chota Hippies, and there is one foot that is always wet, yet I can't seem to find the leak. They've had leaks before (my local stream has thorny vines), and I've found them using both light and/or filling with water while inside out. Aqua seal worked great. But I just can't find this last leak. Any suggestions? 3rd party wader repair.
Inflate and submerge or put some soap like a flat tire test. The bubbles will show the leak.

Jofer

cpiercem

Reaction score
Inflating the waders inside out and using a spray bottle with a mix of water and dawn dish soap was the only way I could find a pin hole leak in the neoprene bootie on one of my waders. Inflating can be easy using the air exhaust off of a shop vac or using a small air compressor. Just don't over inflate!

lanyard

Reaction score
I easily found a leak right at the toe of the left stocking foot booty. I have some Aquaseal on order, but am wondering whether I can get away with applying the sealant on both sides of the hole, or whether due to the location, more will be needed for reliable fix.

Was thinking of a small square of duct tape over the Aquaseal...? Any suggestions appreciated.

JoJer

Reaction score
I check my Cabela's GII's by hanging them from a laundry tree outside and filling each leg with water. I circle the holes inside (where the water comes out) with a tire crayon. Then I dab Aqua Seal on both sides. I keep an old pill bottle full of Vaseline to grease the tube's threads, and keep the tube in the freezer, unless it's traveling with me. I bought the big, huge tube last time I ordered in on line: The kid in Sportsman's had never heard of it.

cpiercem

Reaction score
The problem with filling with water is the weight. It stresses the seams and can cause them to leak. Don't ask me how I know!

Filling only part way up will work, then empty and twist the below knee area closed and add water to the upper thigh area to check there.

I prefer filling with air and spraying with soapy water, or using a light to shine through.