Broke the tip off my 11' switch rod

MCHammer

Reaction score
Yesterday I found the tip of my TFO 11' 4wt. switch broken off about an inch below the tip top. I don't know how it happened--I took it out of the sock to rig it, and the broken piece was in the sock.

I have the skills to remove the tip top and put it on the abbreviated tip section. But do I want to do that?

Will I notice that missing inch while casting? I know I'll probably notice it every time I string a line on the rod.

I haven't contacted TFO yet. They will probably repair it for their standard $35 plus shipping. If I'm lucky they might sent me a replacement section for less shipping cost. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and wondering if going cheap is that great of an idea.

ddb

Reaction score
Not sure how TFO handles warranty repairs. Ideally, I'd make the fix IF I needed it for the season and ship it later out to TFO to examine and replace in the off season. That way you would get it fully restored w/o losing time on the water. The one inch may not make all much difference in a pinch but I'd want it right again.

LOC

Reaction score
Yesterday I found the tip of my TFO 11' 4wt. switch broken off about an inch below the tip top. I don't know how it happened--I took it out of the sock to rig it, and the broken piece was in the sock.

I have the skills to remove the tip top and put it on the abbreviated tip section. But do I want to do that?

Will I notice that missing inch while casting? I know I'll probably notice it every time I string a line on the rod.

I haven't contacted TFO yet. They will probably repair it for their standard $35 plus shipping. If I'm lucky they might sent me a replacement section for less shipping cost. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here and wondering if going cheap is that great of an idea.
When TFO first came on the scene they were lightening fast on turn around for a broken rod.
I'm talking in a week. So yeah they just replaced the broken section it was not a repair.

I don't know how many rods I have had over the years where the tip has some sad broken story to it and I just slapped a new tip top on the section.
It may bug you at first but the rod will work just fine. Especially if it was just an inch. Unfortunately you'll probably have to hunt down a new tip top to fit over the broken section. In a pinch you can also pull one off another rod if it has a slightly larger tip and will fit over the broken one.

Also the tip top glue is basically a hot glue stick. You don't need some special fly fishing tip top glue.
You don't need a glue gun as well if you don't have one. Just heat the end with a lighter and soften the glue.

Blueduce

Reaction score
I just had the same “what the hell” moment on a nice St Croix ultra-light. The rod was strung and the tip top was broken off about 2” from the end. I had an old top section I used to sleeve it back on. (a hollow 1” section) Can hardly see the mend and action hasn’t changed. I’m sure the tip top will simply re attach if you go that route, I myself am kinda particular about my guide spacing for some reason. G/L

MCHammer

Reaction score
I decided to send the rod in to TFO. Thanks for all your responses everybody. In the end, I think I want the guide spacing to be right. My season isn't ruined, because I also have a 5wt. switch I can use.

emel

Reaction score
Good decision. TFO is great to deal with. It's widely regarded that TFO and Echo have the best customer service in the business.

Emel

jayr

Reaction score
I decided to send the rod in to TFO. Thanks for all your responses everybody. In the end, I think I want the guide spacing to be right. My season isn't ruined, because I also have a 5wt. switch I can use.
IMHO you did the correct thing.

Did they tell you how long it might take? With all that has gone on this year and continuing, I would say it might take a while. Just be patient.

trev

Reaction score
You did the right thing, but should that happen when warranty service is not available, you can get a piece of music wire of the right diameter to fit inside the section as a spigot and with glue/epoxy of choice splice the broken piece back on. Ace and other hardwares stock music wire in various sizes, spring steel wire.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yeah man good call, I just send rods back to be fixed, if they cant usually they send you a new one. They might charge you a little bit if the damage is extensive but so what, Ive seen where people fix their own rods and it ends up getting worse over time and they send it back anyway.