Brook Trout Pictures

LePetomane

Reaction score
I caught this guy on McCoy's Spring Creek near Dillon, Montana quite some time ago. I thought with the odd coloration that it could be an immature Bull Trout but our guide said that would be impossible in that drainage.

59833_130493670333039_4803249_n.jpg

Druunkonego

Reaction score
Your part of PA must be faring better than the State College area. Many of the smaller Class A streams have been reduced to trickles due to drought. Penns Creek is the lowest I've ever seen it. Glad someone is getting into them and has water.
It’s been dry here too, for the most part. We’ve had a little rain over the past two weeks but not a lot overall. I took advantage of a recent fall stocking for an hour after work today. This particular stretch of FF only water is apparently stocked with some pretty fish though! I was pleasantly surprised when I found a couple tonight.

I miss Spring Creek though. I frequented the stretch off of Shiloh Rd quite a bit back in collage.

Dances_With_Brookies

Reaction score
It’s been dry here too, for the most part. We’ve had a little rain over the past two weeks but not a lot overall. I took advantage of a recent fall stocking for an hour after work today. This particular stretch of FF only water is apparently stocked with some pretty fish though! I was pleasantly surprised when I found a couple tonight.

I miss Spring Creek though. I frequented the stretch off of Shiloh Rd quite a bit back in collage.
PSU Grad here too. Shiloh Rd. isn't even the best stretch on Spring. These days, the best stretches are those that see the fewest anglers. If you explore enough, you can definitely find areas that require a fair amount of walking, but the effort is well worth it. Most of the easily accessible areas get hammered on a daily basis, and for the most part, the browns are all cookie-cutter 9-14". There are a lot of much larger fish to be found, but you have to put in the work to find them. The other plus is that getting off of the proverbial beaten path there puts you on water where you don't see another fisherman the entire day.

Druunkonego

Reaction score
PSU Grad here too. Shiloh Rd. isn't even the best stretch on Spring. These days, the best stretches are those that see the fewest anglers. If you explore enough, you can definitely find areas that require a fair amount of walking, but the effort is well worth it. Most of the easily accessible areas get hammered on a daily basis, and for the most part, the browns are all cookie-cutter 9-14". There are a lot of much larger fish to be found, but you have to put in the work to find them. The other plus is that getting off of the proverbial beaten path there puts you on water where you don't see another fisherman the entire day.
I'd believe that. I didn't really know what I was doing back then. I forget who directed me to Shiloh road... I'm thinking someone at the fly shop suggested it, but that's the place I knew of, so that's where I went. I didn't have friends to go with (to this day I almost always fish alone). I would fish nothing but dry caddises, but despite my ineptitude, I caught fish. Nothing particularly big or remarkable but it was my place to go when I needed to forget about classes for a while (which was often). I would sometimes see other people there but it was easy to find a fishable stretch all to myself.
I did almost get blasted by a duck hunter there once... and I had my first encounter with a bear there too.

I think I just decided I need to go fish that stretch again sometime.

RunNGun

Reaction score
Probably my favorite brook trout picture from the end of the inland trout season in the Wisconsin Driftless.

A couple more from the same pool, a little less than 100yds from the spring pumping water out of the hillside. All ate a parachute olive.

Sounds like an awesome day! Hard to beat how a fall brookie looks. Gonna be a loooonnnggg winter

Dances_With_Brookies

Reaction score
I think I need to go where you were before I die. Absolutely stunning fish. You are definitely blessed to be located in/near the Wisconsin Driftless for sure.
Probably my favorite brook trout picture from the end of the inland trout season in the Wisconsin Driftless.

A couple more from the same pool, a little less than 100yds from the spring pumping water out of the hillside. All ate a parachute olive.

FIB in WI

Reaction score
I think I need to go where you were before I die. Absolutely stunning fish. You are definitely blessed to be located in/near the Wisconsin Driftless for sure.
It's definitely a nice area and I do feel fortunate that it is within a weekend getaway distance for me. I have to say the Wisconsin stream access laws are very fisherman friendly and part of the draw. Any water is wadeable as long as you keep your feet wet and enter the stream at a bridge. Sure there are public easement areas but I often prefer to be off the beaten path and there is an absurd amount of wild and native trout waters in the area to explore across the three states that have trout.

Here is another fall colored up male plus a female.

And a bonus post, mountain brookie from up in the Gunnison NF this past summer