Brooklyn Fly Shop?

Classtime

Reaction score
A couple of beginner fly fishers are coming to visit me in a few weeks. They are very excited and I thought I would suggest a shop where they could pick out a dozen or so flies. Is there a nice shop in Brooklyn? They live pretty much across the B. Bridge. I suppose they could go to Manhattan. Of course they could wait till they got out here and I will tie a few for them but like I said, "They are excited."
Jeff

planettrout

Reaction score
My son lived in Brooklyn, NY for the last eight years, before moving back to CA last July and there are no fly shops located there. He frequently visited this place in Manhattan:

I tied a lot of the patterns he used in NY, CT , MA and ME. Here are a few:

FYI, most of the bugs that one finds on Eastern waters are much larger than what is found here in CA. He otherwise got most of his flies from here:

They have been around since 1928.

If you are planning on taking your friends to the Sierra, they would be better served by purchasing their flies from these places:

Bob Marriott's in Fullerton has let their fly stock become really depleted. The Fishermen's Spot in Van Nuys has a much better selection:

This chart provides a idea of what's hatching on the Eastside. There are other charts for the Westside, Southern Sierra and Tahoe Region:

PT/TB

Classtime

Reaction score
Thanks PT. We'll be backpacking into Duck Pass where trout are rarely selective. I'll suggest they go to Urban Angler for a few flies. They likely have a few humpies, Adams, mosquitos, Parachute Dunns and the like. The visitors are my daughter and her fiancé. My daughter has some experience with me but left her tackle here and I think her brother has fly-napped most of her flys. If they both have a good time, she might return to N.Y. with her rod and vest and the two of them will head to Dette's. If they get hooked, they can show me some of those storied streams when I visit next.🤞

frickerdog

Reaction score
I assume they do not have a car if they live just over the Brooklyn Bridge. If not, and they are eager, Urban Angler may be their sole option as none of the NJ shops are available by public transportation. Of course, they will be paying NYC prices for their flies.

If they have a car, their closest option is likely Tight Lines in Parsippany, NJ. It would be about an hour from Brooklyn. The guys there are very nice and very knowledgeable.

gadabout

Reaction score
There should be an Orvis store in Manhattan as well. I haven’t been there in quite a few years, but I believe it’s still there.