Bug pics thread

Acheron

Reaction score
Coming soon to the waters of Michigan, the Brood X Cicada. I am going to try and tie these up just using the picture for reference.

View attachment 32648

Denny
I have my fingers crossed that a I can catch them when they pop at a place or two. I happened to luck into a major hatch of these back in mid-2000s and I have never witnessed more extremely large brown trout feeding with absolute reckless abondonment in my life. I caught a large brown while crossing the river and my fly was dangling in the current downstream :D :D

I hear this year was an "X" year and really got my hopes up!!

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
Coming soon to the waters of Michigan, the Brood X Cicada. I am going to try and tie these up just using the picture for reference.
Denny
Go for it, the cicada emergence makes for some insane fishing. I made up some black foam bodies with wings for our event in 2016 and had a blast! The fishing is best at the beginning of the emergence before the fish are gorged to the gills and the water is littered with cicadas.

Last edited:

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
Chilean Stag Beetle.jpg
We ran into a big hatch of stag beetles on a trip to Chile. The brownies were nuts for these the first few days of the emergence. Any big black floating imitation worked well. It reminded me of the cicada frenzy when they first come out before the fish get so gorged they get picky.

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
View attachment 33439
We ran into a big hatch of stag beetles on a trip to Chile. The brownies were nuts for these the first few days of the emergence. Any big black floating imitation worked well. It reminded me of the cicada frenzy when they first come out before the fish get so gorged they get picky.
Wow! Those things look scary. Hope you had fun in Chile though.

Virgin Cork

Reaction score
Wow! Those things look scary. Hope you had fun in Chile though.
Despite looking formidable, they are mostly harmless to humans. The males use those big mouthparts to wrestle other males high in trees on battleground branches and throw them off to win the day and the gal.

Chile was incredible, a real bucket-list event for me. Loved the culture, food, and caught a ton of trout including the four largest brown trout of my life, and it wasn't even close. I would go back in a heartbeat if the chance arises.

Fauxtog

Reaction score
I can't even imagine fishing in Chile with ping-pong sized flies for big trout... sounds like an epic trip. Did you go through an outfitter? Would love to hear more.

flav

Reaction score
Water scorpion. I saw those occasionally when I was growing up in Wisconsin. Creepy looking bug, even creepier seeing one in the water.

Fauxtog

Reaction score
The bugs never bother me, but I always get the heebie jeebies when snake goes cruising by me in the water.

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Water scorpion. I saw those occasionally when I was growing up in Wisconsin. Creepy looking bug, even creepier seeing one in the water.
Thanks! I’d never seen one before & I was curious... They seemed harmless and are pretty interesting loking!