Bunny Fur and Sculpins

ia_trouter

Reaction score
You'll read a lot of posts about this rod won't cast that fly. "A 3WT won't cast a wooly bugger". "A 6WT just won't cast a bass fly". Umm yeah, it will, and trust me I have no special casting talents. :)

A heavier line or a sinking tip or leader certainly makes it easier though,

Matt, you got a link to a recipe for that fly? I have been saying I was going to tie a sculpin type fly for a year now and haven't done it. Your fly is well named. It does have a chicken profile. :) I like it a lot and have more than one species in mind.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
There are many opinions and even more hair splitting when it comes to lines rods and the flies to be used. I subscribe to the school of thought which says, use what you have. If your gear is within reasonable limits as far as being a matched rod and line you will find a way to make it work. There is another group that will profess that you should or must have different rods and lines for every application and it is this one that leads to a fellow owning a great many rods etc. A person who wants to get the job done can do just that and can do so without having to meet strict requirements in the tackle department. There are exceptions and I have experienced one with a 15 foot Winston rod that I used very little until a couple of experts in the business of fly lines were so kind as to take the rod with them on a fishing trip and identify a good line match for the rod. The line is a 600 grain Scandi Long (45') and although it works very well there are limitations to what it will carry when considering distance casts. For close range fishing it will cast anything I can chose from my fly selection but if I go too heavy and follow that with wanting to cast 100 feet there will be problems.

I never know if what I say makes sense to the reader but I try to stay on track with what we are talking about. To recap my thoughts; as long as you have a line that will produce correct loading of your rod, you can adapt to using many different style & weight of fly. To try to go further in describing exactly how that adaptation is achieved in a text writing without multiple drawings or an accompanying video would be very difficult. I often mention a 7' 9" five weight rod I have. Over the years I have taught myself to cast anything from a #20 dry fly up to one of those huge Sculpins with a weighted leader section, all with the same rod and line. The only explanation I can offer is that I change technique and it works. The same goes with 2 hand rods to a great extent. Once you have the basics of casting and fishing without large weighted flies and leaders, it is a matter of adapting your casting technique to allow you to use the heavier stuff with the same tackle. There are however limits.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Good post Ard. We often read here of the "perfect" tackle for the question that is asked. They aren't wrong for recommending the best way, but it absolutely does cause the less experienced to buy way too many rods and lines than they need to, and it happens too quick. I hope to learn over time what I really need and scale back on the madness of tackle collecting. It is especially difficult for those of us that fish for so many species on both still and moving water. To some extent the tackle collecting becomes unavoidable if you want to be extremely diverse in your fly fishing, which is exactly what I desire. But surely I don't need 10 rods and reels and that is where I am surely headed in only my second year. :)

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Dewayne,

I think that the way I got the way I am is the result of...............

Prior to 1978 I had a really poor fly rod and line but knew no better. By late 1979 I bought that Orvis Far & Fine and it was my only fly rod until 1989. Even after I began to buy other rods I used the far & Fine almost exclusively because it was my rod. I believe what I'm trying to say is that I had learned to use that one rod for everything for ten years and the result was that I became better able to recognize whether a different rod was an improvement or not. The power of suggestion is a strong thing when it comes to this rod business. If you hear enough times that something will be better you may be more inclined to believe it to be so. If you actually take time to learn how a rod really will work you will find its limits and then you are better equipped to recognize whether something is actually better.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
That's the real world experience talking Ard. As you know I spin fished for larger species for 25+ years. 90% of my fishing on two rods. Big and small is all I really needed and I did just fine. Why I thought fly fishing was so drastically different I can't explain. I'll blame it on the internet I guess. At the end of this I am going to dial it back to about 3-4 quality rods with one being a two hander. I bet it works just fine. :)

honyuk96

Reaction score
You'll read a lot of posts about this rod won't cast that fly. "A 3WT won't cast a wooly bugger". "A 6WT just won't cast a bass fly". Umm yeah, it will, and trust me I have no special casting talents. :)

A heavier line or a sinking tip or leader certainly makes it easier though,

Matt, you got a link to a recipe for that fly? I have been saying I was going to tie a sculpin type fly for a year now and haven't done it. Your fly is well named. It does have a chicken profile. :) I like it a lot and have more than one species in mind.
Hi, I'm just getting back to this thread. Sorry, but mi working from an I pad and am not able that I know ( computer dummy here ) to post up a link for this fly. If you want the recipe log onto the Drake message board. It's under their fly tying section. Not my fly at all, just something I saw the other day, thought looked good and spun one up. There's actually a full SBS on their board. Hope that works for you.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
So for my area it`s single hook, does that mean I`m only limited to tube flies or small sculpins. How do I stagger the hook back on a larger sculpin with a helmet?

I have been working on my classic salmon flies and now into getting better at deer hair (ugg) and working my way to sculpins and bunny fur but I always see them tied with multi hook or stinger. That is illegal here.

Looking back at Ards, first posts I see the wire, I will have to get helmets or cones with an eye and a way to tie the leader on the back I guess.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
The long sculpins are a task to figure out how to make. If you can find anything similar to what I have posted get a couple so you have something to model from.

Because they have such a long profile with just the trailing hook you can't go striking when a fish starts bumping at the fly. You gotta wait until he gets hold of the very tail and you feel the fish pulling on the fly. At that point it's probably hooked so just give it a gentle pull to set things tight.

FlymanSJB

Reaction score
I found a couple Sculpins to use as patterns. I think they will work around here especially the sunrise sculpzilla. They are using what looks like 20 or 30LB braided line for the helmet to hook extension.