Camo or not?

tcorfey

Reaction score
Not a big camo guy except for when I am duck hunting, I mostly stick to solid color earth tones when fishing. I do a lot of hiding behind rocks or trees and crawling or kneeling. Are you fishing mostly heavily wooded areas, moderately wooded areas or rocky canyon areas or meadows? I think the terrain around where you fish might make a difference in what you wear. For example fishing a meadow with no trees and high tan grass might call for tan pants and a grey or light blue shirt.

I do have to say that most of my camo clothing is designed for colder weather and most of my blue-lining is after runoff and before the fall run.

Last edited:

jwbowen

Reaction score
I wear a Camo top usually. Mainly to just blend in a little better. Not sure if it makes a
difference once my feet hit a few rocks.

jayr

Reaction score
Here in the GSMNP, with wild fish and gin clear water, I wear camo. I have seen it make a difference. But in addition to that stealth is a key as well. Using the natural background to hide and ease around makes a difference here.

On tailwaters I don’t really worry about it.

trev

Reaction score
I've never worn camo to hunt or fish. I try not to make shadows tho. Predators make shadows.
Generally in hunting seasons when others are wearing camo it shows up like neon in the woods unless it's the shaggy stuff. I think that is the synthetic shine that I see, if the camo were on wool it would work better, wool absorbs light I think.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Several good studies on ungulates and UV. Not seen any on what fish are able
to see. A lot of the Camo today appears as a "blob" and not the broken
patterns that seem to be most effective in breaking up the human "shadow".

bumble54

Reaction score
Better to move quietly and slowly, fish, as with all potential prey species, react to sudden movement, more so than what you colour jacket you may be wearing. Watch a heron or white egret fishing, each movement is slow and deliberate before the final strike. Blending into the background isn't all about colour.

trev

Reaction score
My understanding is that salmon and trout can see UV, for what ever that is worth. But I also have read that the field of vision above the water is only a cone about twice as wide at the surface as the fish is deep, so given a small stream where the bottom is say 4' deep the window is less than 8' in diameter at the surface, if I am outside that window my fashion sense (or lack of) won't be exposed to the fish, that is why I use a leader and a few feet of fly line to remove me from sight. Staying low can help with staying out of the cone of vision, and shadows of rod or line can enter the field of vision underwater when we are fully hidden and the line itself is not in the cone of window.
Camo won't hurt our chances as long as we fish like the heron, but if we aren't seen it won't improve our chances either; I'd give just as much credence to a "lucky hat".

philly

Reaction score
I might wear it on occasion. Mainly, BDU pants. I don't own a camo shirt. I've worn urban camo( a mix of black, grays and white) quite often while trout fishing. These days, especially if I'm walking through weeds or woods I tend to wear light color clothing, easier to see if I've picked up any ticks. I'm not sure how much it matters when fishing.

denver1911

Reaction score
No. Earth-tone pants/shorts, shirts, and hat .. yes. Same effect, just (a little) less silly looking IMO. I save camo for hunting. Wait, I don’t even do that. Except maybe my Guy Harvey redfish camo when I shoot doves.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I use camo and earth tone or combinations of for small streams. Like others said keep a low profile within the trouts view. I like acu digital fatigue hats in the forest and desert digital fatigue hats around town. I wear acu digital scrub pants for dove hunting over shorts. Easy to pull off back at the truck to cool off. I also use them around camp for chores and quick trips to the nearby stream. Put them on over clothes and go.

bushak

Reaction score
Mainly earth tone for me but that's largely because all my clothes, that are suitable for outdoor activities, are earth toned. I think there are bigger things to worry about such as movement, sound, etc.

denver1911

Reaction score
Weekend attire from a trip to a creek in the woods. Camo? Na. Match the surrounds and, more importantly, stealth.5F2A0E47-7B4F-4E16-A97A-2AA5F8F240FE.jpeg

huronfly

Reaction score
Most of my trout fishing takes place during turkey season so I am almost always wearing camo through the month of May anyways, but earth tones are probably more than good enough.

spm

Reaction score
If by camo, you mean military digital or woodland, then no. I was once criticized by my fishing partner that my red Cardinals cap was spooking the fish and preventing him from catching any. I have always worn tan or olive colored clothing. AND THAT NOW INCLUDES HATS! That's about as camo as I get.

Thanks,
steve