Camo or not?

moucheur2003

Reaction score
What no one is fishing in a ghillie suit?

And I mean one of these
View attachment 24902

Not one of these
View attachment 24903
Haha! I always figured ghillie tweeds in natural tones were the original camo. He needs a darker shirt though.

Myself, I don't hunt, I'm not in the military, and I don't see the need to buy specialized camo just to fish. I usually just avoid bright colors and wear something in khaki, brown, or olive so as not to clash with the environment. I try to move stealthily and stay out of sight when fishing in close. I suspect that if I'm far away they won't notice me anyway, but if I'm close in and the fish are spooky, they are going to notice my movement before they notice my clothes even if I'm wearing camo.

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I don't see the need to buy specialized camo just to fish. I usually just avoid bright colors and wear something in khaki, brown, or olive so as not to clash with the environment. I try to move stealthily and stay out of sight when fishing in close. I suspect that if I'm far away they won't notice me anyway, but if I'm close in and the fish are spooky, they are going to notice my movement before they notice my clothes even if I'm wearing camo.
Having said that, this breathtaking example of angler's high fashion has somehow found its way into my wardrobe. It's such a collector's item that it only rarely comes out of the safety of my closet, though.IMG_20210221_095855006.jpg

Attachments

dennyk

Reaction score
Since I'm still cooped up recovering from knee surgery since Nov. 9th, what I've been listening to is my dear bride of 31 years talk about politics. :(

Denny

gretch6364

Reaction score
I wear all muted colors, but by stroke of luck, my fishing hat has been camo the last 5 years and I have caught the more fish then I caught the five before, so it most definitely is the hat.

Someone gave me a Rio hat that was camo and was so comfortable...then I am part of a tester program for First Lite and their hats are crazy comfortable. My head moves around a lot and is the highest part of my body, so I figure....camo hat. Boom fish caught.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Muted colors are essentially camo. Some of us being Rocky Mtn. hillbillies take it further. In the photo below I am 8 ft. away from the fish. Sometimes it makes a big difference. Like your hat.
IMG_20200930_120130.jpg

Staflyguy

Reaction score
Muted colors and subtle movement can only help on small waters. For distance casting I can’t imagine there is a material effect though the camo hat could hold the key to a good day.

trev

Reaction score
Can fish see behind them selves? It seems easier to sneak up on people from behind than from the front, I wonder if that works for trout too?

Bigfly

Reaction score
I walk right up to people all the time. I never walk up to a fish, on purpose........
Mostly here I fish down to them. No false casting is sneaky.
Trev....there is lots more than one way to do it.
The Brit way of upstream casting has died out finally around here. (Except for long time believers, and the newly converted to the religion.)
Mostly the domain of old guys and beginners these days.
I only use that approach is when I have no other option.
The first 20+ years of the old way, was enough to convince me there is always a better way.

Jim

Last edited: