Camp Stove Recommendations

dcfoster

Reaction score
I’ve been using the Coleman classic propane stove for years. My reasons would have to be one, it’s reasonably priced, two, it’s indestructible and three, you can find parts for it anywhere (I’ve never had to do that!)

The cons... The BTUs are low, only 20,000, and there is no auto ignite.

Although the Camp Chef Everest seems to win most awards you see online, the GSI Sellkirk 540 will probably be my next stove. I have a lotta stuff from GSI and it’s held up great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smarty140

Reaction score
I would imagine that my answer is the same as you'll get from a lot of others - I have a standard old Coleman 2 burner stove. (I'm assuming from the description in the OP that this is for car camping, not backpacking or other cases where weight and size are overwhelming concerns) It works well for what I use it for, which is normally just heating up water, reheating food in a frying pan, or maybe cooking some brats.

They are designed with flip up sides that attach to the cover to create a 3 sided wind shield, which is nice when camping in windy areas.

They are durable and not unreasonably expensive. Mine is one I bought for something like $10 at a garage sale over a decade ago. I'm sure there are higher end options that are better for people who cook more elaborate meals when camping than I do, but this works well for me.

ryan

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Classic Coleman white gas stove. Why? Heat is more than sufficient. With a small amount of care it won't fail you and you can Will it to your kids. IMO, propane is slightly more convenient as long as it isn't real cold out. I like the little one burner propane stoves on the side. Just about fits in your pocket and handy to heat up a small container. Coffee pot, some quick hot water for a dehydrated camping meal, Ramen or beanie weinies if you're in a jam for a snack.

psishapiro

Reaction score
I have three stoves systems I use. One is a small wood burner by emberlit. It folds flat and I like to carry this when backpacking or hiking, because it’s ultra lightweight and you’re not carrying fuel.

Second, I prefer white gas over canisters. They can be pressurized by pumping when it’s cold out, or when traveling at different altitudes. For that reason, I have an old Coleman 2 burner stove, and a smaller single burner MSR Dragonfly. It gives me 3 burners, if needed, when at camp, and if one of the two units aren’t working and need some maintenance, I have the second unit to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
If weight is not an issue- get a Partner Steel. Nothing else compares.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jaydub

Reaction score
I like my Campchef Everest. The high output burners will boil a pot of water quickly but are still able to simmer. I can run it off of disposable bottles or a bulk tank with an adapter hose.

I also have a Campchef Weekender, which I think is discontinued. It's a steel stove with cast burners. It can be used on a table or with it's own legs. It's great for hunting camp, but is heavy and bulky and can't be used with disposable bottles.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I use a coleman grill stove for convenience of having a small grill and burner in one setup. It works great for one or two people cooking simple meals. Coffee pot on the burner and a skillet on the grill in the morning and beans on the burner with meat, corn and peppers on the grill for dinner.

My grill stove and mka's converted white gas stove with drip coffee maker setup together utilizing both sides of the table for room. We both have big camp chef standup grills too but you can't beat these little stoves for simple camping.

JDR

Reaction score
I will second the vote for the Campchef Everest stove for the same reasons jaydub mentioned. Also, the stovetop and burners are large enough to allow the use of a 12 inch skillet.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Never used one but the Campchef does look nice.

Ggrifi, some more info would get you more meaningful opinions. I recommended the Classic Coleman. It's likely I'll be cooking for only a few days. I'm quite content to live on nothing much more then eggs, bacon, taters, fish, beans, burger, and maybe some sweet corn. I could eat that every day for a week with no complaints. If you are feeding six, and enjoy cooking four course meals, then your stove needs are going to vary. Whether you are camping out of the trunk of a Toyota Corolla or an F250 Supercab is relevant too.

trs

Reaction score
Another vote for white gas coleman, and best 1 burner by far MSR Whisperlite international, it will burn in any weather/altitude

MileHighMcFly

Reaction score
I’ve got the Coleman Triton 2-burner (also comes in a 3 burner). Its like an updated version of the classic green Coleman. Regulates very well; that was the only issue I ever had with my old green classic Coleman.

MBWCC

Reaction score
Coleman (white gas) stove: 7,000 BTU per burner
Camp Chef Everest: 20,000 BTU per burner

If you want to boil water (especially large quantities such as cooking corn or worse yet cooking lobster) then the Coleman isn't the choice. If boiling water isn't a need either will work. I have both. As others mention, I will give the Coleman to one of my kids. However, the Camp Chef is my favored choice.

Last edited:

ggriffi

Reaction score
Never used one but the Campchef does look nice.

Ggrifi, some more info would get you more meaningful opinions. I recommended the Classic Coleman. It's likely I'll be cooking for only a few days. I'm quite content to live on nothing much more then eggs, bacon, taters, fish, beans, burger, and maybe some sweet corn. I could eat that every day for a week with no complaints. If you are feeding six, and enjoy cooking four course meals, then your stove needs are going to vary. Whether you are camping out of the trunk of a Toyota Corolla or an F250 Supercab is relevant too.
@ia_trouter You're right, I should have put more info in at first. Wife and I are going to start camping again and the only item we didn't have already is a camp stove. I have a Weber Q100 that we have used before but if it's windy you're screwed. Our needs don't go any further than yours and space isn't an issue either. I'm leaning towards propane right now but I like the idea of saving some bucks with Coleman.

psishapiro

Reaction score
The nice thing about the white gas models, you can buy a regulator for propane. I don’t think they make the regulators/tanks to go from propane to white gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I actually collect vintage Coleman stoves. I have no idea why :eek:
Replacement parts are cheap and hi-test gas works just as well as the canned stuff. It's just a little smelly.

But most of the time I use this 35 year old propane.
Can't stand buying the "disposable" propane canisters, so I refill my old ones.
It's not a big deal at all.

IMGP0020.jpg

patrick62

Reaction score
For backpacking I use this

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Sportster-Dual-1-Burner-Stove/dp/B07BQYBDXY

Never used it with anything but white gas. Haven't been backpacking in years either, but it sure came in handy a few years back when a freak Halloween snowstorm knocked the power out for two weeks. Tree stump in driveway with stove on it, cooking Dinty Moore beef stew.

I have one of those old green Coleman two-burners somewhere too.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Going outside the box for this one......
I too have several Coleman stoves. White gas and propane. Also have the Weber Q for grilling. (Highly recommended)
I have several MSR stoves for back country/climbing use. A Jet Boil as well....
But my favorite stove for quick use is the 2lb white mini propane tank, with a single burner screwed directly into the tank.
No regulator, just full power heat. I have a collapsible wind screen from an outfitter shop.
If I'm cooking for a group, it's a good third burner. But I keep it by the camper door for a quick cup of coffee or one burner meal.
This set up has performed for at least 15 years, because I had to have the tank re-certified this year..
I can it set up one-handed, from my bed. It roars............I never leave home without.

20190809_124755 by James Landis, on Flickr

I set it up to take a quick connect hose, for a lantern or a grill/stove.

Jim

Last edited: