Can i use florocarbon tippet for dry flys?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Todd, It's actually from an outcrop of clay. The stickiness of clay is what makes it stay on for a few casts. Unlike Gerkes xink.......
If you have some nearby, don't buy.....
Regular mud does not work.
Like I said, don't believe me.....do the clinic. I don't believe anyone till I test.
First put down a fresh mono leader on 6-8" of water.
Observe large blobs of shadow on silt bottom.
Then mud leader about 12" to 24" up from fly.
Lay it down and jerk it slightly.
Shadow should disappear......
Next, find a surface feeding fish....run an untreated leader with a good fly by him a couple times, if he refuses, then mud....he should eat it next pass.
Like I said though, gotta be a good (perfect) drift and accurate fly choice to make test valid. (I would seine downstream of him to make sure the bug is correct.)

Recently we had a pelting rainstorm.
I found fish feeding during the storm about 6" down from the surface. (Only their backs showing.)
BWOs popping couldn't get into the air with all the rain. Thousands on the surface and just under.
These fish were way too smart to use a bobber that close to the fly, and no hoppers out to do a dropper off it.
Used an OLD technique.
Mudded up about a foot, then greased the leader up to butt section.
Dropped it right in there..........useful stuff.
Good luck in your testing.

Jim

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
I fish as small as #32, and I use fluoro. That is all I use.
The Mudd is great I have been using it for about 12 years now, but mine was from Orvis. I also use shore mud from time to time.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Just curious Joni, you using a mono leader (Or Furled), and then adding flouro tippet to the fly?
And what is the rational.....durability around those sharp teeth, on light tippet?

Jim

Joni

Reaction score
I use a furled leader and add at least 3' of fluoro tippet, but I have had luck with the thread leader and 1' of fluoro tippet. I don't use smaller than 6X even on a #32. I just attach the fly with a Surgeon's Loop so it still has movement.
Haven't notice too much trouble with teeth. The hook is usually in the corner of their mouth or the lip.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Joni, OK, but why do you choose it over mono for this application?
Looking to find out from you and Kelly, why?
I know it's slightly stronger for it's diameter....but it's designed to sink.....
I couldn't afford to use it for everything, I use too much.....$$$$
Mono is cheap, and it floats....
Like I said, just curious....
And, I was thinking about puppy teeth on the knot. Especially the LCTs at Pyramid, they can actually draw blood.
I use the same knot for the same reason.....

Jim

Last edited:

Joni

Reaction score
I can only answer like this. First off I use P-Line fluoro for most uses. I will use Mirage on really spooky fish. I like the diameter being smaller.
I am a carp freak, and for the most part they are spooked very easy. I bought some regular mono in 10lb. I still get fish but it is noticeably less than when I use fluoro. Specially on the dries.
Maybe a confidence thing which is a big part of fishing, but I feel Fluoro out performs in every case I have tried.
I went out on a local river with a guide (as a friend, not pay) He chose to use mono, I fluoro. We used same flies. I could fish a hole that he had been on and catch the fish he did not.
Again, a confidence thing.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for getting back.
Were both of you mudding leaders when doing this shoot out?
I understand the confidence thing.....

Jim

Joni

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for getting back.
Were both of you mudding leaders when doing this shoot out?
I understand the confidence thing.....

Jim

Oh yes. I just do the tippet thing.

ts47

Reaction score
Todd, It's actually from an outcrop of clay. The stickiness of clay is what makes it stay on for a few casts. Unlike Gerkes xink.......
If you have some nearby, don't buy.....
Regular mud does not work.
Like I said, don't believe me.....do the clinic. I don't believe anyone till I test.
First put down a fresh mono leader on 6-8" of water.
Observe large blobs of shadow on silt bottom.
Then mud leader about 12" to 24" up from fly.
Lay it down and jerk it slightly.
Shadow should disappear......
Next, find a surface feeding fish....run an untreated leader with a good fly by him a couple times, if he refuses, then mud....he should eat it next pass.
Like I said though, gotta be a good (perfect) drift and accurate fly choice to make test valid. (I would seine downstream of him to make sure the bug is correct.)

Recently we had a pelting rainstorm.
I found fish feeding during the storm about 6" down from the surface. (Only their backs showing.)
BWOs popping couldn't get into the air with all the rain. Thousands on the surface and just under.
These fish were way too smart to use a bobber that close to the fly, and no hoppers out to do a dropper off it.
Used an OLD technique.
Mudded up about a foot, then greased the leader up to butt section.
Dropped it right in there..........useful stuff.
Good luck in your testing.

Jim
Fascinating stuff. I'll have to test it for myself. I guess I'm "gleaning" again. ;)

Thanks for sharing Jim!

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Based on the comments in this thread, perhaps I should test the flouro tippet as well.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Todd, I don't have all the answers, but I've got a handle on a lot of questions.
Do your own testing, because when you do hook up, it will be all you........
Good luck.

Jim

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm the opposite
I have absolutely no confidence in fluorocarbon
I bought a few spools back when fluoro was the next big thing..it didn't last a month before deteriorating.
It literally fell to pieces in my hand as I pulled it off the spool.
I've never heard of anyone else ever having this problem, but you won't see me buying or using the stuff anytime again soon.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Well, things might have changed in 30 years....Though if for you it ain't broke, why fix it?

For me, in that I believe I must be the worlds finest fisherman....It's got to be the tippet that is the problem. Maybe...

B.E.F.

Bigfly

Reaction score
As someone said here......one cool thing about fly fishing is you can do it anyway you want.
The Truckee river has shaped the way I fish. (Could say humbled....) I was a dry fly guy.....
Now, I'm a bobber fisher.
I used to think far, but now it's a close up game.
It's human nature, to want to get away with what has always worked.
But when faced with new water/fish, your tech may not work.
When that happens, we tend to blame the water, or the fish, or the weather, or............
I've had my eye's opened, I now take the blame....and get busy testing.
I actually enjoy figuring it out, more than catching fish......but I have to catch fish to prove I've figured it out.
Brutal......

Jim

Last edited:

ts47

Reaction score
Great thread and great info all!

B.E.F.
+1 on that from me.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Todd, I don't have all the answers, but I've got a handle on a lot of questions.
Do your own testing, because when you do hook up, it will be all you........
Good luck.

Jim
Thanks Jim!

I do plan to do some testing. I've already connected with a friend who also happens to own a fly shop. The plan is to connect with him and maybe walk out back to the creek and see what's what.

Todd

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Hey Folks;

In that I've never really made use of Fluorocarbon typically having used Orvis Tapered leaders in SuperStrong, this year I'm going to give Furled Leaders a try and am curious how this thought flys with you Furled/Fluoro experts.

For my own fun, I thought I'd pre-tie up some tippets with a couple of progressive sections....First using some of that Orvis SS i already have adding a perfection knot to one end, and on the other I'd attach using a Surgeon's knot a lighter piece of Fluorocarbon.

Has anyone made similar combination tippets?

B.E.F.

ts47

Reaction score
Jim or Joni,

Hoping you'll still see this even though it is an older thread...

One last question on the mud. Exactly what does it do? Or perhaps how? I'm seeking a better understanding.

I get that you loose the shadow when using mud with mono tippet. Switching to flouro helps to reduce the shadow too. Would I use mud with a flouro tippet too? Is it just that it takes the shine off the tippet that makes the shadow go away? If this is the case would a leader straightener work (the two pieces of leather you can pull the leader through). You don't need to answer all these questions. You should understand the question and detail I'm hoping for in an answer though.

Thanks,

Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Joni

Reaction score
I don't use it to make the tippet less visible, I use it to sink the fly or line. It adds the weight to sink, but then washes off once it has sunk. No added split shot. Xink does the same,but Mud is everywhere and all natural.