Care for Line/Gear used in salt/brackish water

frickerdog

Reaction score
I have been solely a small stream, fresh-water fly fisherman. I have now restored enough of my old family gear that I should have an extra rod and reel available to fish the bay and backwaters for some summer fun if I am at the beach. What do you do differently with your fly gear at the end of the day fishing salt water? Do you rinse out the reel and the line to get some of the salt out? Or do you do nothing since that gear is designated for salt water? Thoughts?

trev

Reaction score
I haven't been in the salt for many years, but back when I did wade the bay, I used the same gear that caught trout one day and bass another day, after a day in the salt every thing needs a lot of fresh water, including meself. The bath tub or shower for the reel line rod and me. I pulled all the line and backing off and ran them through a fresh water rinse in long loose loops and the spool and reel body each got washed with soap and rinsed with fresh water and rubbed with an oily rag after drying. Others may give you better advice but that reel and rod still function 30 years later.

plecain

Reaction score
Rinse everything. Anything that has metal in it or on it will corrode.
I pulled a jacket out of the closet a couple days ago. It had metal zippers. I must have worn it while fishing the salt. All the zippers were corroded so much I couldn't move them at all. Into the trash it went.
I rinse the rod with the reel off and then dry it with a towel.
Take all the line and backing off the reel and swish the line around in a tub of fresh water. Do the same with the reel. Then air-dry both.
Fly boxes with a metal hinge-pin will corrode, too. Rinse them.
If your flies don't have saltwater hooks, rinse them, too.

swfl daz

Reaction score
I fish salt/brackish water about 4 days/week. You MUST rinse everything after every use if you want it to last. Salt is a gear killer and it doesn't take long for neglect to show. I don't strip the line and backing every day, but I do give a good freshwater rinse.

original cormorant

Reaction score
Fly boxes with a metal hinge-pin will corrode, too. Rinse them.
If your flies don't have saltwater hooks, rinse them, too.
C&F boxes have stainless hinge pins - others may also.

NEVER replace used flies in your fly box until they've been thoroughly washed and dried

hatidua

Reaction score
You MUST rinse everything after every use if you want it to last. Salt is a gear killer and it doesn't take long for neglect to show. I don't strip the line and backing every day, but I do give a good freshwater rinse.
All of that, right there.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Here's what I do when I'm salt water flats fishing.If changing flies I dunk the Fly in my water bottle while it's still connected to the tippet,then I clip it off and put it in a separate place to my other flies.Then when I get back to the Lodge or wherever I know which flies to leave out to dry overnight.Works for me anyway.
P.S.I also clean and dress my lines EVERY evening before alcohol consumption. :)

ratchet

Reaction score
As many have mentioned, I second the need to rinse with fresh water any gear that MAY have come in contact with seawater. But if you are on a week long (or two) annual seaside vacation, it is more important to carefully rinse out and dry all of your gear, even those that never touched water (especially flies) at the close of your trip because rust never sleeps. In some vacation locations, the tap water is actually brackish so do this final cleanup at home. I'll also suggest you strip line off your reel, rinse, and store separately your flyline and backing if you aren't going to be using your gear for another year.

original cormorant

Reaction score
For me flies used on a trip are in quarantine until I get home and they have been thro the purging process, which happens at the same time as the deep cleaning of rods, reels and lines.

One thing I have found is that too much time under too hot a shower will allow moisture to penetrate whippings and make them cloudy so you then need to leave them out for weeks to recover.