Carp

LOC

Reaction score
I love the shimmer and shine of there Scales. I love that last Picture
I wanted to include that pic because some folks have this notion that carp are not a attractive species. That photo ran in Catch Magazine.

The rod is something I made cut out of my friends bamboo garden. Its one piece of bamboo, dried cured and wrapped like a standard fly rod that was everything but standard. A fun rod to chase Carp with and fish outside the box.

flafly14

Reaction score
Carp have got to be one of the spookiest fish I've ever come across. I've witnessed them being put down by the sound of talking. On more than one occasion I've seen this. They are a great flyfishing fish.

LOC

Reaction score
my buddy has a bunch of bamboo in his backyard, was it a difficult task to do ? I would love to look into doing something similar!
No it was pretty easy actually. The hardest part is finding a straight enough piece with the right built in taper.
The tip has to be small enough to get a tip top over it. A lot of the pieces you will see don't taper enough or taper too much.
It's like Goldielocks and the three bears you need to find a piece that is just right.

It also takes some time to elapse to let the bamboo air dry. I just hung it from the tip on the side of my house and literally forgot about it.
It needs about 4 to 6 weeks to dry out completely so that it is no longer green. The rest is easy in a sense. I have built a few rods so fitting a handle and reel seat is pretty simple and then adding guides is also not a difficult task especially if you tie flies.

I'll have some build pics I'll try to find to post for you later today.