Carrying 2 rods while fishing?

redietz

Reaction score
Competition anglers do it all the time, but then they have a judge on the bank who can watch the rods not being fished to keep themfrom being stolen.

ts47

Reaction score
Or just carry a good quality 5 weight.

Denny
Or if you need the extra power, a better 6 weight. A 6 can do it all too. If you are concerned about the line weight being too much for small dries, try adding a little to the length of your leader.

skunkedalot

Reaction score
i use 2 all the time when fishing from my yak,canoe, or float tube. one rigged with a floater and the other with a sinking line.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is what I use:

MCHammer

Reaction score
Here is what I use:

Who would've thunk? This thing looks pretty good. I often carry a single-hand rod and a two-hand rod so I can get my trout spey casting fix. I think I'm going to get one and give it a try.

patrick62

Reaction score
I often carry a fixed line rod in the pack when wading. If I'm fishing a little blue line, usually a shortish fly rod and longer Tenkara. If a big river, longer fly rod capable of handling heavy flies and a long Tenkara for unweighted or very lightly weighted flies. I never carry two fully-rigged fly rods. I will either break one or forget to bring it back.

In a pontoon boat fishing for bass I routinely carry one rod with a floating line, one with some sort of sinking line, and a big fixed-line rod stashed on one of the compartments.

sasquatch7

Reaction score
I will sometime carry two rods, one rigged for nymphing and the other for dry flies, when fishing on the San Juan.

It is mostly open and it is pretty easy to find a place on shore to leave one rod while you fish the other.

Still, it can be a hassle. If I work my way up or down stream with one rod I constantly find myself back-tracking to get the rod I left on shore.

It saves you from having to re-rig if a hatch starts, but if you have to traipse to shore to look for your rod and then wade back out into the river I'm not really sure how much time you really save.
I know a guy that had a rod stolen there doing the exact same thing . Just food for thought .

hatidua

Reaction score
I admire those that can do it (carry two rigged rods at a time) but it's not a good match for my fishing, either fresh or salt.

philly

Reaction score
The only time I ever really carried two rods while wading or fishing from the shore was when I was transitioning from fishing spinning gear to fly fishing. It was a pain in the butt and after a few months I realized I that I would never really learn how to fly fish by bringing a crutch with me. Went through the same process with salt water fishing. I carried the extra spinning rod and tackle box, once. When I got home I had the materials to build myself a 7 inch fighting butt to screw into my 8 wgt. Instant light surf rod. Still had to carry the spinning reel and a small box of lures. It took three more trips to ditch the reel and lure box. I'm a semi-fast learner so it only took a month to reach same conclusion it took me close to a year to reach in fresh water.
Today I carry one rod when I'm wade fishing or fishing from the shore. I have extra spools for all my reels and it's easier to carry the extra spool than it is a second rod. I haven't fly fished out of a kayak yet. I wasn't fly fishing when my buddy and I were limber enough to fish out of a canoe. Boat fishing anything goes. It's either warm water or salt water fishing. Usually I have two fly rods with me, a 6 wgt and an 8 wgt and, don't shudder, a spinning rod with me when I'm fishing warm water. The one exception is my trip to Northern Ontario, and I won't horrify you with all the gear I take.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I normally carry more than one rod while fishing but only one is rigged up; I tried the other way and found it cumbersome. Many times I will fish a fixed line rod on certain runs and leave the rigged rod on the bank, close by. Even then it's a bit of a pain if I go too far. Sometimes I will fish one section of river with one rod, re-rig and set up for another style of fishing on another. Sometimes I will fish a fly rod for a bit and then set up with a baitcaster on bass rivers and streams.
When I am in my Watermaster I will have several rods already rigged up.
But the two rods while walking doesn't do it for me.

old timer

Reaction score
I never carry two rods but if I did i'd carry one assembled and the other one in it's sock. If they are different lengths i'd carry the assembled rods sock in my vest in case I switch rods.

dipaoro

Reaction score
I bring two rods... one stays in the car. When its time to switch, I walk to the car and make it happen. Seems easier to do it this way then trip and break one of them. Just my 2 cents...

jkim

Reaction score
Depends where you fish. When the fishing hole is close to the parking lot I carry three fully assembled and rigged rods - 3/5/7wt, at the same time in one hand and a stick in the other hand while carrying a backpack, oh and walking in waders. It's a bit hassle but it's definitely worth the effort. You just have to watch the rod tips and footsteps. If I go back country hiking/fishing then I just carry one 3wt rod disassembled in a tube and some flies and extra lines in the backpack which is basically filled with camping gear.