Carrying a Mirrorless DSLR around Yellowstone?

ts47

Reaction score
Sounds like you only have 1 shoulder to hang from so I would go with belt style pack with the optional removeable shoulder strap or the shoulder can share load with the hips. Monopods are great! The right monopod can double as a cane or just to help steady over uneven terrain. Chemo can make you not as steady for a while. Sending "Good Thoughts" for speedy recovery!
My chemo schedule is every other week. Recovery starts about day 6. By day 8 or 9, I’m pretty stable. It’s more a matter of endurance at that point. For this trip, we will head to Yellowstone about day 12. The doc gave me an extra week of recovery off my regular schedule. Fingers crossed that it will be a good trip.

To everyone… Thanks for the good wishes!

Miles813

Reaction score
Hammer, meet Nail. -for those unfamiliar with the names above, do yourselves a monumental favor and find the time to sit down and patiently look through the books "Genesis" by Salgado (or his book "Workers") and "Inferno" by Nachtwey. The latter, do alone and unhurried.
Thanks for the recommendations, stunning.

I also agree that either a fanny pack style or messenger bag will be your best bet.

ts47

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! while there are some suggestions that I like better in this thread, they are currently out of stock. My son and I fly out on the 15th and need something now. I just ordered the Lowepro Nova 180 AW case. While it will likely be a somewhat scaled back trip, it should be a worthwhile memory for both of us. I’ll try to post a few photos when we get back.

bonefish41

Reaction score
Once upon a time FTNs and F3...Nikkor prime lenses and one zoom...political shots for my boss...my last vestige of a time past...my suggestion for your consideration and a second the suggestion of another above smart phone camera...I use Samsung 21 Ultra with Shoulderpod grip, on the water or on the skiff or drift boat, in lieu of my Canon G12...multiple lenses including ultra wide plus 12bit raw...the Shoulderpod makes it a camera that functions without fingers on the lens etc... it's very light

NikonF3.jpgSamShoulder1.jpgSamShoulder2.jpg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
This is terrible news, Todd, like all the rest I wish you the best and a great trip with your son. Back in my working days, I clipped a SealDry fold top small bag to my wader straps to keep it high and a little protected and shot with Nikon SLR/DSLR's bigger of course than your diminutive Z50 mirrorless. It is true of course that today's cell phones like the newest Samsung units take very good images and it is what you point them at that counts but of course they are absent the control and feature a lag absent in a real camera. Bring a polarizing filter. We all look forward to some great images upon your return.

W08(J) Lake Cr. 037.JPG

ts47

Reaction score
This is terrible news, Todd, like all the rest I wish you the best and a great trip with your son. Back in my working days, I clipped a SealDry fold top small bag to my wader straps to keep it high and a little protected and shot with Nikon SLR/DSLR's bigger of course than your diminutive Z50 mirrorless. It is true of course that today's cell phones like the newest Samsung units take very good images and it is what you point them at that counts but of course they are absent the control and feature a lag absent in a real camera. Bring a polarizing filter. We all look forward to some great images upon your return.

View attachment 39336
Thank S&S! I'll know much more about my situation in a couple of months. For now... I'm really looking forward to the trip, as is my son. We'll post some photos when we return. Doing wash and starting to pack now. (y)

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Thank S&S! I'll know much more about my situation in a couple of months. For now... I'm really looking forward to the trip, as is my son. We'll post some photos when we return. Doing wash and starting to pack now. (y)
Gonna be a great trip😎
I've been through your journey. It sucks but a positive attitude is mandatory. The man who built my favorite boo rod was stage 4 just 6 years ago. Still here and still swamped with rod orders.
As I did, and he did, you will come out of this stronger. There is power in numbers and rest assured everyone here is casting that power your way😊

ts47

Reaction score
Gonna be a great trip😎
I've been through your journey. It sucks but a positive attitude is mandatory. The man who built my favorite boo rod was stage 4 just 6 years ago. Still here and still swamped with rod orders.
As I did, and he did, you will come out of this stronger. There is power in numbers and rest assured everyone here is casting that power your way😊
This is very kind of you to say. Thank you! :)

I'm stage 4 as well. I've got the top John's Hopkins research oncologist for my type of cancer as my doctor and ditto for a thoracic surgeon. Living near DC turned out to be a real blessing. Surgeries and surgical procedures in a few months will determine the final outcome. There is much hope at this point though. So yeah... A real PITA, but feeling positive and looking forward to getting past the surgeries.

In the meantime... Yellowstone, here (my son and) I come!! 😎