Casting Skagit line - help please

ghostrider408

Reaction score
You bet man! Tightening up a loop is where the top and bottom legs of the fly line (shooting head in this case) are closer together. A tighter loop forms a nice, pointed wedge on the leading end that cuts through wind better than a more open loop. A tight loop would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of a foot to two feet tall whereas a more open loop would be north of 3 ft. or more.

ghostrider408

Reaction score
Getting a tighter loop is accomplished with how well you load the rod and how you execute your forward cast with a good acceleration to a positive stop of the rod tip. This promotes a tighter loop whereas the more open a casting stroke, the rod tip then travels in more of an arc like a windshield wiper. Think 10 and 2 or 11 and 1 on a clock face vs. 9 and 3. Hope that makes sense.

LOC

Reaction score
Howdy,

So, I have a 9' 6wt rod. I have matched this up with the OPST skagit line 225 grain as recommended by OPST. I have a 5 ' sink tip, and 3 ', or more , of leader. I am having trouble casting heavier streamers. I was wondering if when I retrieve I bring the skagit line through the top guide, or maybe two. Right now, I just retrieve and bring it up to the top tip, but never through them. It just feels like the skagit head is too long. What's everybody doing to cast those heavier flies.

Thanks in advance!
It probably is a bit long on a 9’ rod.
For reference I just got off the water casting a 325gr Commando with a 9’ sink tip on a 11’11” 4wt rod. It’s slings that setup no problem with the head just outside the rod tip.