Catch and release argument

mikel

Reaction score
"Somewhere there has to be a single entity that logically and soundly determines the best course of action to maintain yet more so enhance the fishery. Otherwise it really is every man for themselves to whatever end."

If you substitute "should be" for "has to be" I'd agree with you.

If the regs say you may take fish, you are not obligated to do so.

Many waters in Ca should have different regulations on behalf of our wildlife. Unfortunately, local economies, individual interests, politics and money lead to less than optimum laws. You seem to believe your DNR folks make decisions based on science and what's best for wildlife. That is not true in some states.

Ca Dfw is on a path based on losing lawsuits to outfits like the center for biodiversity folks, not what they believe is right or wrong.

In the west (this is my opinion only) Wa, Or and Ca all approach and manage anadromous fish in drastically different ways. I'm not sure any of them have it right.

Reality is a pain, but there it is...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have killed many fish in my youth and still take an infrequent fish under appropriate circumstances, most recently two blackfish off Montauk last Autumn...and served them for dinner that same evening. I don't care that much about State fisheries regulations because I have long recognized that they are primarily designed to make Humans (tax payers) happy...not necessarily wildlife. The only wild animal it is legal to SELL in America is FISH...I would ban that entirely. I would like to see closed system, on land breeding and rearing facilities for aquaculture.

Regarding the OP's issue with his parents. This is a great opportunity to sit down with them, enjoy a glass of wine and calmly explain and educate them regarding the rarity and sever decline in remaining strains of native and also wild reproducing strains of steelhead. About the beauty of respecting them and their ethical treatment. More selfishly, how hatchery fish released as smolts go to sea and eat and behave in the way of the wild returning to the river strong and full of color, flavor and character but minus the unique genetic code so valuable in the native fish. It is the uphill battle to preserve this genetic code that makes it ethically impossible for you to reduce it to mere table fare. Make your parents understand how proud they should be of you for your noble and steadfast protection of Wild steelhead and if they are not already beaming with pride in you, then add and by the way, it is illegal to harvest them...as it should also be for Pacific tribal groups who are allowed to sell wild steelhead.

oarfish

Reaction score
"A young man is walking along the ocean and sees a beach on which thousands and thousands of starfish have washed ashore. Further along he sees an old man, walking slowly and stooping often, picking up one starfish after another and tossing each one gently into the ocean.

“Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?,” he asks.

“Because the sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don’t throw them further in they will die.”

“But, old man, don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it! You can’t possibly save them all, you can’t even save one-tenth of them. In fact, even if you work all day, your efforts won’t make any difference at all.”

The old man listened calmly and then bent down to pick up another starfish and threw it into the sea. “It made a difference to that one.”
Loved the story Silver,
Taking care of our resources is up to each of us in one way or another, we try and that is the most important part, we think about what harm we could do and change if we can.

Rick