Catskills or Adirondacks?

68camaro

Reaction score
The problem with the Adirondacks is you need to explore. Also the blackflies in the Adirondacks are miserable in May and June when the fishing is best.
I was forestry major in Adirondacks back in mid-80's, been living in south since 89, I almost forgot how big and bad the black flies were until to you mentioned them, the welts they would leave were legendary.

Goodbye Liz

Reaction score
I second what was said.......it is not a good dry fly river - years ago i was successful blind casting to the banks with a little humpy and would do well with wild 8 inch bows.......that was more than 15 years ago before an epic flood....i've only been there a handful of times over the last few years but dry fly action is very limited.
As a new fly fisher I will third this. I got my butt handed to me most of the summer tossing dries on the Esopus but it has been a fantastic learning experience. The few I did land in my many trips were all the more special for it.

RockNRiffle57

Reaction score
Black flies be damned, if you like hiking and fishing small water for brookies the Adirondacks can't be beat.

But seriously, the black flies can be maddening. Still... That's where I'd be for brookie fishing.