CDC Floatant

LePetomane

Reaction score
What do you use if anything for a floatant on CDC? I have been using a lot of CDC emergers lately. They are very effective but they don't float very long. I dry them on a microfiber towel and apply Frog's Fanny. It lasts a few casts, then I repeat the process. Is there an easier way?

justahack

Reaction score
I fish cdc flies a lot. I coat them initially with loon lochsa floatant. Lasts until I hook a fish. Squeeze dry in a wonder cloth dry fly patch after a fish, then re-dress with lochsa.

boisker

Reaction score
I only use tiemco dry magic on cdc to coat
and frogs fanny or similar product to revive
plus an elastic band

upstreamcast

Reaction score
Ditto the Dry Magic for initial application. Then beat up CDC with fumed silica (Frog's Fanny) brush to make sure all filaments are separated and dry (especially after catching a fish). Lochsa in place of Dry Magic works also.

dillon

Reaction score
On most, if not all, CDC Emergers, I only apply floatant to the wings, not the body or tail, because I want them to break the surface tension. I apply it to the wing sparingl, rubbing it into the fibers, Then give it a blow before delivering it...

LePetomane

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the tips. I picked up an amadou patch and Dry Magic last week. Maybe the stars were aligned yesterday but these CDC flies really work.