Central region of the U.P.

rockriver

Reaction score
If you have any plans for fishing up in this area this year, make sure you bring a lot of bug dope. So far this season, it's got to be the worst I've seen in years. If it bites, it's out there.

weiliwen

Reaction score
When I was fishing a little south of there, in the Driftless Area, I was constantly attacked by no-see-ums, and bitten by some bug. I wasn't even hungry at dinner, I ended up eating so many! I ended up having to hoof it down to Cabela's in Prairie du Chien to buy a mosquito net.

Top Tip: They not only have mosquito head nets, but also no-see-um head nets. I bought both - the no-see-um net for now, the mosquito net for summer. I did note that the no-see-um net, being of a tighter weave than the mosquito net, is akin to looking through a very dirty window, and impedes your vision quite a bit.

RAVC

Reaction score
Yes, the headnets are a wise purchase. We just bought a few for night fishing this year (2021) and chose to buy those that fit over your head rather than those that are installed over a hat.

dennyk

Reaction score
I've fished up there when the bugs were so bad you either had to have a stinky cigar lit or have a head net on along with long sleeve shirts with the cuffs taped shut. They were absolutely maddening.

The only relief was when a nice cool breeze came in off Lake Superior. In the evenings we had a camp fire going with green pine branches to get some smoke going to try and keep the bugs at bay. It was all worth it, the Steelhead were on the bite.

Denny