Chapstick?

mnigro

Reaction score
Negatory on the chap stick, it is a petrolium based product that will eventually weaken the line and it can cause knots to slip. These are sort of non issues as most of it gets washed off. Spit or water for me, let it dry and then loon knot sense, plio bond or super glue. Don't coat anything but the knot with the super glue as it will weaken it if on the line (negates stretch or something not good). I read that the Knot sens adds 1% extra strength I don't know as I haven't tested it' I use it to help knots go through the guides more easily even if the only time this is an issue is when you string up the rod.
I think the petroleum argument may be valid if you’re using that leader years later. It’s not degrading the leader over the course of a day or multi-day trip. Burts bees has no petroleum and since that’s what my daughters buy, that’s what I use. You can always wash off the chapstick if that’s the brand you choose.

If using lip balm makes a smoother, burn-free knot, it’s probably a good practice.

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Yeah, not something to get too A**** about. Some sources say that a knot is actually stronger if it melts into itself partially, another one I am not too sure about and without microscopic analysis how would you know anyway? Any concern about chapstick may only apply when you tie up several leaders and then immediately throw them into a zip lock bag or sealed leader wallet. The really A types then throw these away after a year. I only do this with the lightest of tippets 4x and below and only when suspect. My heavy salt water leaders I feel like I can loose even 50% strength with no issues except for the class tippet.

Last edited:

bonefish41

Reaction score
Why General you're reincarnated in Wyoming...where did you put the recall codes?😀