Cheap fiberglass 3-weight?

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
As I mentioned on the "Broken Rod" thread, I just broke my Cabela's Prime one piece 6-foot 3-weight. Not a big financial hit (I think I paid $40 for it) but I had gotten to really like it (my go-to small stream rod, along with a tenkara rod). Unfortunately they don't make it anymore and I haven't found one online. Someone on this forum once mentioned a similar cheap glass rod, but I can't recall the name of it. I want to stay under $100 (well under), around 6 feet. Any recommendations? I have a 5-weight CGR and I guess I may go that route. (I don't really need a 3-wt but I have a very nice reel and line...)

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
The CGR comes in a 5'9" 3 wt. The only other glass rod I can think of for under $100 is the Eagle Claw Featherlight, but it's longer than you want -- I believe the 3/4 wt is 6'6". If wanting to replace your Prime, you might consider joining (if not a member already) the fiberglassflyrodders forum and putting a listing in the want to buy section.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
The CGR comes in a 5'9" 3 wt. The only other glass rod I can think of for under $100 is the Eagle Claw Featherlight, but it's longer than you want -- I believe the 3/4 wt is 6'6". If wanting to replace your Prime, you might consider joining (if not a member already) the fiberglassflyrodders forum and putting a listing in the want to buy section.
Thanks, that is the one I was trying to remember, Featherlight.

Plecoptera

Reaction score
The Maxcatch Ultraglass 3wt is not bad. I have never used any of the Primes, but I have all the CGR's. The Ultraglass rods are faster.

I have the Aventik / Riverruns 4wt and like it, but have not tried their 3wt.

quiquefish

Reaction score
I own the aventik 6’7” 3 weight and is an excellent rod for the money and at 4 pcs is very compact for backpacking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old timer

Reaction score
I have the CGR 7' 5wt I use on creeks. It works well for me. I like a 5wt better for bushy flies and some wind. It lands a dry as soft as you'll ever need.

skcwolfgang

Reaction score
I have the featherlight 6’6” 3/4, which I find to be at least a 5wt. Not a bad rod at all for the price. I have also owned a few of the CGR’s and think they are worth the extra money over the featherlight

desmobob

Reaction score
The Eagle Claw Featherlights are just wonderful fun for the money. I have all three, and had two of them out in the yard today. They always make me smile. Unfortunately, I feel the one they sell as a 3/4 is OK with a 4wt DT but doesn't really do too well with a 3wt line. If your 3wt line is one of the heavy ones, you might have some fun with that smallest Eagle Claw.

I bought one of the Maximumcatch Uniglass 3 weights out of curiosity and, to me, it's almost a 5wt. And it wasn't really that inexpensive...

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i have a maxcatch 8 foot 3 weight dt on that rod( note i used dt lines on everything from my 2 weight to 4 weight weight ), and a cabela's 6 foot 6 3/4 weight... just bought the cabela's..not fished it yet.......... the maxcatch i have used for a year now,,, trout, panfish. and small bass.. lots of fun to use

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I found my 5/6 Eagle Claw rod to do better with a 8wt finesse or 7wt Bass taper line. My buddy has the 3/4 and has a DT5wt line on it - that might be a bit overlined but he doesn't want to buy another line for the rod. Neither of us are doing technical dry fly fishing with these rods. Were chucking meat and rigs to creek smallmouth and anything that'll take a fly in ponds.

Both are more rod than the $40 price.

Cosmo

Reaction score
I'm also looking for a 3wt fiberglass rod and found this thread to my delight. However, some of the suggested rods have been discontinued (Maxcatch Ultraglass, Eagle Claw Featherweight) does anyone have recommendations on newer rods or some that are still being produced?

desmobob

Reaction score
I didn't think the Eagle Claw Featherlights (not "Featherweights") have been discontinued. They're still listed on the EC web site and the 6'6" 3/4 is still available at various sources for about forty bucks.

Eagle Claw Featherlight Rods

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
@Cosmo - Cheap fiberglass is on Amazon and eBay, the brands may change but the quality will be consistently Asian.
Amazon currently lists Riverruns and Maximumcatch 3wts. eBay has Maxcatch, Riverruns, Aventic, Ultraglass, Uniglass etc.- Bass Pro still has the CGR.
I can't recommend any of them, from experience, nor could I talk about any 3wt. from experience.

Cosmo

Reaction score
I didn't think the Eagle Claw Featherlights (not "Featherweights") have been discontinued. They're still listed on the EC web site and the 6'6" 3/4 is still available at various sources for about forty bucks.

Eagle Claw Featherlight Rods
Haha yes, Featherlight is the one I meant. It's listed on their website but how do I buy it? Didn't see an "Add to Cart" button so I assumed it was no longer available... Amazon has it but I can only find 5/6wt.

@Cosmo - Cheap fiberglass is on Amazon and eBay, the brands may change but the quality will be consistently Asian.
Amazon currently lists Riverruns and Maximumcatch 3wts. eBay has Maxcatch, Riverruns, Aventic, Ultraglass, Uniglass etc.- Bass Pro still has the CGR.
I can't recommend any of them, from experience, nor could I talk about any 3wt. from experience.
Ah, I've never bought fishing gear from Amazon so I never look there. Thanks

trev

Reaction score
Ah, I've never bought fishing gear from Amazon so I never look there. Thanks
I haven't either, but those brands don't show up at the fly pro shops. I'd kinda recomend anyone wanting 'glass to look at vintage 6wts, they were designed and built by masters in the time when 'glass was at it's peak and the 6wts were the trout standard until graphite made longer rods usable.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i have 2 maxcatch rods.. for the past year. 9 foot 5 weight glass, and a 7 foot 3 weight in glass.. they work just fine.. cast well..i enjoy using my 9 foot 5 weight glass on shad.. and meadow for trout.. and the 3 weight is great on small streams and panfish... just because the rod does not cost over $400 doesnt make it a bad rod,,, my maxcatch rods have never let me down, and my freinds like to borrow it all the time.. and a few have bought the maxcatch rods...i have a few $$$ rods.. and i switch back and froth between the rods, and never noticed a diff ... and last week i was on putah creek with with my maxcatch 9 foot 5 weight glass rod.. and caught 6 trout.. the biggest was 20 inchs long about 3 pounds i think... did the fish think 'well should i got to the more pricey rod that guy has , or the cheaper rod?? ' no the fish went for the fly..... does a 100,000 dollar car make you a better driver than someone in a honda civic? if you think a very expensive rod will make you a better fly fisher person.. then by all means ..go for it remember its all marketing,,,the sage blank when they made.. it cost hundreds of dollars on carbon/ glass fiber?...i have a hard time beleiving that one

del gue

Reaction score
Maxcatch 7' 3 wt. $76. The indication is that they had 32 in stock when I looked on 04/23/2021 at 0034 hrs.

The thread was titled 'Cheap fiberglass 3 wt', so cheap rods were proffered.

If mid-price fiberglass 3 wt rods are wanted, then you can expand to an Echo River Glass for $250 or others in that range.

You can pick up an Orvis Superfine for about $450.

I suppose you could check 'fly pro shops' for vintage 6 wts, but my guess is they will mostly have new rods, and mostly graphite rods, but I could doubtless be wrong.

To think that for some mystical, magical reason you can't catch fish on a 'cheap' rod, or you can't catch fish on a rod bought off E-bay or Amazon is nonsense. A gent in Puerto Rico has caught ladyfish, snook, bonefish, and tarpon on a Maxcatch 1 wt fiberglass rod using $12 Maxcatch fly line. The fish were landed and the perceived inadequacy of the gear, as espoused in the minds of some, was lost on the fish in question.

Nobody is lookin' to pick a fight here, but when the OP is asking for 'cheap' rods, then most folk are gonna try to accommodate him or her by recommending 'cheap' rods. The OP should certainly explore all possibilities towards fulfilling his need and/or desire, which might in fact morph to something different than what they originally imagined. That means that, yes, they should also consider 'vintage 6 wts', if available, at an acceptable price, if one of them fulfills the OP"s needs and desires.

GP, did you ever find a rod?

If not, perhaps I can be of some service.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
look at it this way.. i have had my maxcatch for over a year now.. casts well landed a 3 pound bass on fishing for blue gills. caught crappie on it, and lots of trout... for $76.00 is not much..if you damage a $300 + rod.. the cost to repair for warrenty..is more money you are not going after mako sharks with it.. just small stream fishing and pan fish..76.00 is not a bad deal.... maxcatch is a good company. they do make rods for other 'name$$$ brand ' fly rods companys