Cheap fiberglass 3-weight?

alfaromeo

Reaction score
Your Maxcatch doesn’t have spigot ferrules? I thought you had the 7’ 3wt too?
tip over but..you just made me look thru 1 diff. rods to find it and check it out.... you are one mean person 8 foot 6 in 5 peice 3 weight. and a foot wt..the pnly one in my collection with spigots is the cabela's 6 foot 6 4 wt

Cosmo

Reaction score
tip over but..you just made me look thru 1 diff. rods to find it and check it out.... you are one mean person 8 foot 6 in 5 peice 3 weight. and a foot wt..the pnly one in my collection with spigots is the cabela's 6 foot 6 4 wt
Not really sure what you mean, I just remember you saying this:
i have 2 maxcatch rods.. for the past year. 9 foot 5 weight glass, and a 7 foot 3 weight in glass.. they work just fine.. cast well..i enjoy using my 9 foot 5 weight glass on shad.. and meadow for trout.. and the 3 weight is great on small streams and panfish... just because the rod does not cost over $400 doesnt make it a bad rod,,, my maxcatch rods have never let me down, and my freinds like to borrow it all the time.. and a few have bought the maxcatch rods...i have a few $$$ rods.. and i switch back and froth between the rods, and never noticed a diff ... and last week i was on putah creek with with my maxcatch 9 foot 5 weight glass rod.. and caught 6 trout.. the biggest was 20 inchs long about 3 pounds i think... did the fish think 'well should i got to the more pricey rod that guy has , or the cheaper rod?? ' no the fish went for the fly..... does a 100,000 dollar car make you a better driver than someone in a honda civic? if you think a very expensive rod will make you a better fly fisher person.. then by all means ..go for it remember its all marketing,,,the sage blank when they made.. it cost hundreds of dollars on carbon/ glass fiber?...i have a hard time beleiving that one
🙂

alfaromeo

Reaction score
i gave the 7 foot 3 weight to a freind.. he wont return it.. he like on the small streams we fish on in sacramento/ roseville area.. i just use my orvis superfine 8'6" 2 weight.. i wont let him 'borrow it ' lol.. i dont mind. he likes the rod,and did not cost much..he has had it for a year now :) (y)

Cosmo

Reaction score
i gave the 7 foot 3 weight to a freind.. he wont return it.. he like on the small streams we fish on in sacramento/ roseville area.. i just use my orvis superfine 8'6" 2 weight.. i wont let him 'borrow it ' lol.. i dont mind. he likes the rod,and did not cost much..he has had it for a year now :) (y)
Ah I see, well sorry for making you go through all your rods!

Anyways, I wrote a review but then I thought it was too harsh so I deleted it. I guess my expectations were too high. It's a cheaply made rod and priced accordingly, that's all I'm gonna say. Will you catch fewer fish with a cheap rod? Not as long as you like it. When I was young my grandpa always told me "the lure you believe in always catches the most fish because you fish it so much harder". I guess I'm a victim of marketing and don't believe in cheap stuff so if I get skunked using a cheap rod I'd blame it on that and throw it in the garbage. Better to just return it and get my money back. "Buy once, cry once" etc.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
it was only 13 rods..i know folks with 3 or 4 times as many.. anyway gave me time to catalog them,, make sure did not loose any..so no worries mate(y)

Cosmo

Reaction score
Well she’s here! Spent 30min on my lawn casting it and absolutely love it. Fiberglass definitely fits my casting style more than graphite. It’s very, hmm how do I put this, buttery soft to cast. It feels more than a 3wt though, put a wf 4wt on and it works great.

Blank looks almost identical to the Maxcatch except the spigots. Reel seat and cork handle has a much better quality and finish to it though and so does the carrying case. Plus you get an extra top section.

Moonshine Revival and TFO BVK SD:
92FD43F6-5C64-4325-B6D0-2B1416825D2B.jpeg
All thogether with line etc the whole outfit cost me just shy of $500 so I’m not sure it qualifies to be in this thread anymore though...

del gue

Reaction score
If the Moonshine doesn't work out, either maybe try the Orvis Superfine Glass. The 4 wt gets good reviews.

Cosmo

Reaction score
If the Moonshine doesn't work out, either maybe try the Orvis Superfine Glass. The 4 wt gets good reviews.
Worked great! Used it on the water for the first time yesterday and had a blast. Even caught a brown and a sunfish

trev

Reaction score
All together with line etc the whole outfit cost me just shy of $500 so I’m not sure it qualifies to be in this thread anymore though...
That's cheaper than buying 12 $50 rods that don't quite fit.
I just bought another vintage "new/unused" fiberglass six weight. For me it will be a four/five weight, I believe, I'm familiar with the model in longer lengths, 7-9wts and they all fish lighter lines. Don't need it but let covetousness get the best of me. ~$130

del gue

Reaction score
Glad to hear it worked out well for you, Cosmo! A new rod and already caught fish on it!

It doesn't get much better than that!

Staflyguy

Reaction score
Not ‘cheap’, but…. ‘inexpensive’……maybe keep your eyes out for a used quality rod though for $76, you really can’t lose, but I do find for a long term purchase I’m always glad I bought something I’ll be happy with. Unfortunately fly rod prices have been on the increase.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
That's cheaper than buying 12 $50 rods that don't quite fit.
I just bought another vintage "new/unused" fiberglass six weight. For me it will be a four/five weight, I believe, I'm familiar with the model in longer lengths, 7-9wts and they all fish lighter lines. Don't need it but let covetousness get the best of me. ~$130
? sorry?

Aluminumchef

Reaction score
Glad you found one you like. The warranty on the shine rod will definitely help make you feel better about your decision. They do a way better job finishing them than the cheaper competitors. The grip on my MC has so much filler I wish they'd have just used a synthetic grip.

Attachments