Cheap intermediate lines

desmobob

Reaction score
I wanted to put together a second 5wt reel and spare spools set-up for stillwater fishing. I had good floating, sink tip and full sink line but needed an intermediate. I cheaped out and picked up an Orvis Access WF5I at the local outlet. It is like a piece of wire and it makes me curse every time I use it.

After catching a decent lake trout this week, I started thinking that with a tangle in that nasty line, a good fish could rip off my line guides and wreck a good rod. So what did I do? I took another chance with a cheap line. This time, it was a new, old stock Cortland 333 Classic WF5I. A guy was selling them on the big auction site for fifteen bucks. OMG... the thing is smooth, supple and casts beautifully. I just ordered a second one to have as a back-up. At that price, I couldn't afford not to.

It's either going to prove to be a great value, or come apart part way through the season and make a fool out of me for not learning to buy a quality line the first time... :rolleyes:

LOC

Reaction score
I wanted to put together a second 5wt reel and spare spools set-up for stillwater fishing. I had good floating, sink tip and full sink line but needed an intermediate. I cheaped out and picked up an Orvis Access WF5I at the local outlet. It is like a piece of wire and it makes me curse every time I use it.

After catching a decent lake trout this week, I started thinking that with a tangle in that nasty line, a good fish could rip off my line guides and wreck a good rod. So what did I do? I took another chance with a cheap line. This time, it was a new, old stock Cortland 333 Classic WF5I. A guy was selling them on the big auction site for fifteen bucks. OMG... the thing is smooth, supple and casts beautifully. I just ordered a second one to have as a back-up. At that price, I couldn't afford not to.

It's either going to prove to be a great value, or come apart part way through the season and make a fool out of me for not learning to buy a quality line the first time... :rolleyes:
Nice, I have had good luck with Cortland lines and at fifteen bucks I could excuse it for falling apart after a season or two.
Is it a clear line or opaque? I may have to get one myself if they are still around.

I have a full intermediate Lake line that needs replacing. Thanks

desmobob

Reaction score
Nice, I have had good luck with Cortland lines and at fifteen bucks I could excuse it for falling apart after a season or two.
Is it a clear line or opaque? I may have to get one myself if they are still around.

I have a full intermediate Lake line that needs replacing. Thanks
Clear. And I believe there are one or two left...