Cherry Popper

flytie09

Reaction score
Was fortunate enough today to land my first wild PNW steelhead today on the lower Deschutes. Pretty pumped to say the least.

first deschutes steelhead.jpg

On the pink and black soft hackle.

Amber soft hackle spey.jpg

I can say it was hard earned as I'd been coming out here for the past 4 years. Despite the low return numbers....I kept a positive attitude and after a 2 mile hike and a half day of swinging, when most people are taking their afternoon stream side nap, it happened.

For those of you that know the lower Deschutes........this goat path will identify where I was. My legs and back are on fire. Nothing a good IPA can't fix.

goat path.JPG

Last edited:

flav

Reaction score
Nicely done! That first one is often hard earned, but they start coming easier....honestly.
My first wild one, 20 odd years ago, came a few miles upstream of yours. I also celebrated with a beer, but I think it was probably a Black Butte Porter.

flytie09

Reaction score
The feather in the cap was a second wild fish landed today closer to the mouth this time. The mouth of the river that is. On the same fly the second time working through the run after a few grabs.

Water levels were simply perfect to allow a slow broadside swing. Not 1 lost fly either.

Back to work Monday.

Next trip for me will be my annual SR NY pilgrimage. 33 days and counting.

flafly14

Reaction score
I don't care if this is an old thread. Anyone that persists for 4 years at anything before getting success has my respect. That is just awesome. Raw perseverance! You TOTALLY earned that fish! WTG! I'm official inspired!

flytie09

Reaction score
Thanks flafly. That’s nothing..... it took me a decade before I landed a Great Lakes Steelhead. Steelhead fishing is a game of learning, persistence, trial and error, exploration, research and sheer determination. It’s challenging and honestly not for everyone. Perhaps that’s why I enjoy it so much.

Praying for water in NY and a chance to add some mojo to a few of these flies.