Chester MA

Ocotillochico

Reaction score
Hey All,

I’ll be camping with some friends in Chester for the 4th. Google maps show some streams in the area, but I can’t find any info about species and what not. Anyone have experience with the area? I’m more familiar with GB, Deerfield and the Swift. Any recs, or places to find them would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Zack

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Zack,

Welcome to the forum, you could always do what I did before the internet which was go check it out. If you're already camping in the area there must be some attraction I'm guessing so take the rod & reel and go have a look. The way this always worked for me was that when I explored a new place it was an adventure. Many times I found a reward and sometimes not but I was fishing. The places everyone knows about and are willing to write about online often have a known population of fish but also a good number of fishermen as well. I've always traded fewer or unknown fish for fewer or zero people fishing when I was.

Ocotillochico

Reaction score
Ard,

Thanks for the reply, you pretty much read my mind here haha. I figured I’d be able to snag a couple fish regardless.

Cheers,
Zack

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good you have a sense of humor Zack, I'm an old guy or so it seems and I learned by doing. You will eventually reach a point where you can tell by looking at a stream or river whether it will be fun to fish. I've seen waters from the Florida Panhandle to southern Maryland that I knew probably had zero trout but they had all the right characteristics of good flows so I fished. Sometimes I found Red Eye, sometimes Bass and Brim and it was all of interest. Trout waters are the same way, sometimes you just need to keep going upstream to find something interesting, take your camera.