Chinese Mayfly

kevind62

Reaction score
Covering nightshift tonight. Went out for a breath of air and came across this little fellow. They've got a lot of strange looking bugs here, but found something a little "closer to home" tonight. :D

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

Critter

Reaction score
Not sure if they are the same thing, but we get huge hatches of white mayflies about that size here in the summer. They will be all over you and shedding their skin.

silver creek

Reaction score
Not sure if they are the same thing, but we get huge hatches of white mayflies about that size here in the summer. They will be all over you and shedding their skin.
Ephoron Leukon (White Fly) hatches on our rivers in August. The Ephoron Albun in the west.

Females have 3 tails, males have 2 tails so if yours is Ephoron, check to see if the male and females have the correct tail count.

Mayfly Genus Ephoron (White Flies) hatch

Ephoron leukon - the white mayfly hatch

Last edited:

kevind62

Reaction score
This one didn't have the black eyes or dark wing case. It's pretty uniform in color all around, a light yellowish green. Hard to see in the pic from the office light. It did have three tail fibers. I'm pretty sure it was coronavirus free at the time too. :D

Ephoron Leukon (White Fly) hatches on our rivers in August. The Ephoron Albun in the west.

Females have 3 tails, males have 2 tails so if yours is Ephoron, check to see if the male and females have the correct tail count.

Mayfly Genus Ephoron (White Flies) hatch

Ephoron leukon - the white mayfly hatch

Last edited:

Critter

Reaction score
I didn’t see them this summer at all, they are usually thick around this one lake. Maybe I just wasn’t there at the correct time.