Chota Tundra Hippies....?

Davebuech

Reaction score
So Ive been considering a pair of stocking foot hip waders for small creeks when the water/weather is not conducive to wet wading. Unfortunately Simms doesn't make em so options are limited. Ive been looking at the Chota Tundra's and wonder how comfortable the bootie will fit. Doesn't seem to be anatomicly shaped like Simms or Patagonia. Anyone have experience with these?

fq13

Reaction score
Glad to see we are talking about waders. I saw the header and thought you were referring to some dude from Alaska with a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker, an aversion to showering, and white boy dreadlocks!:)

dennyk

Reaction score
So Ive been considering a pair of stocking foot hip waders for small creeks when the water/weather is not conducive to wet wading. Unfortunately Simms doesn't make em so options are limited. Ive been looking at the Chota Tundra's and wonder how comfortable the bootie will fit. Doesn't seem to be anatomicly shaped like Simms or Patagonia. Anyone have experience with these?
Thanks for your post! I've been looking for a good pair of breathable hip waders with no success. Probably looking in the wrong place. I'll be calling them later.

Denny

dennyk

Reaction score
I have a pair of the regular or original hippies. The booties are very comfortable no issues. My son also has a pair and he is happy with them also.
Hi Tim! I wear a size 8 shoe, I'm looking at the medium 8-11 Tundras, my wading boots are size 10. What are your thoughts on the bootie fit? I'm going with mediums because I need to wear knee braces and thinking the mediums would have enough room for them.

Denny

myt1

Reaction score
I likewise have a pair of the original Hippies.

I'm very happy with them.

I wear them around my knees when I'm backpacking/hiking then pull them up when I want to fish.

tcorfey

Reaction score
i Tim! I wear a size 8 shoe, I'm looking at the medium 8-11 Tundras, my wading boots are size 10. What are your thoughts on the bootie fit? I'm going with mediums because I need to wear knee braces and thinking the mediums would have enough room for them.
I cannot comment on that size shoe, I wear a size 13 and my son wears a size 11. We both use x-large size which is 10-13. I would surmise that with that much room in your boot that should not be an issue.

dennyk

Reaction score
I cannot comment on that size shoe, I wear a size 13 and my son wears a size 11. We both use x-large size which is 10-13. I would surmise that with that much room in your boot that should not be an issue.
Thanks Tim, I'll be ordering them. I am surprised at the limited manufacturing of breathable hip waders. Thanks again for your input.

Denny

Davebuech

Reaction score
Got my Hippies yesterday and went to my nearby creek to give them a test run.
Gotta say they are pretty darn comfortable. No issue with the booties, not as nice as Simms but not uncomfortable.
Todays temps reached into mid 70s and it was WAY cooler than chest or pant waders. Easy too when ya gotta take a leak. Having access to my pockets was nice too.
Not as breathable as Goretex but I could roll em all the way down which made em more breathable than Goretex!
Durability unknown. They seem to be built well, how long the fabric holds up remains to be seen.
I think they will be great for these smaller creeks in the backcountry. Light and packable.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I used them for about a decade, they hold up well and I am happy with them. Hippers are getting very hard to locate anymore though. I only use them early in the spring or late in the fall because I just wet wade when possible. Still they're nice to have when needed.

duker

Reaction score
This is a timely thread, as I've been looking for something in a lightweight wader pant that I can use when I don't need the full-on protection of my Simms G4s.

For those who have used them, does the size refer just to the shoe/bootie, or the wader itself? I'm a tall skinny guy with big feet (size 12), and am considering the XLs, but not if the wader portion is so huge I'll be swimming in them.

Scott

Davebuech

Reaction score
This is a timely thread, as I've been looking for something in a lightweight wader pant that I can use when I don't need the full-on protection of my Simms G4s.

For those who have used them, does the size refer just to the shoe/bootie, or the wader itself? I'm a tall skinny guy with big feet (size 12), and am considering the XLs, but not if the wader portion is so huge I'll be swimming in them.

Scott
I ordered the medium size and the footie seems to run a little large. I wear a 9 1/2 there is plenty of room, maybe 2 shoe sizes. Possibly a large would work for you?

duker

Reaction score
Thanks Dave--that's helpful. Now that I've read this thread I am really seriously thinking of picking up a pair. For the price I don't think you can beat them.

Scott

duker

Reaction score
I see that. I'm thinking that the Tundra model is more heavy-duty, which is what I'm looking for.

I also see that Frogg Toggs has a similar product--the Canyon II Breathable stockingfoot hip waders. Did you look at these? They're half as much as the Chotas.

Decisions, decisions.

Scott

Davebuech

Reaction score
I see that. I'm thinking that the Tundra model is more heavy-duty, which is what I'm looking for.

I also see that Frogg Toggs has a similar product--the Canyon II Breathable stockingfoot hip waders. Did you look at these? They're half as much as the Chotas.

Decisions, decisions.

Scott
I didnt check out the Frogs. Like you I wanted a heavier fabric as I spend a lot of time fishing from my knees. I think youd be happy with the Tundras and good luck with your decision.

ts47

Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks for all the info. Thanks to the heads-up here, I just order the Chota Hippeis on sale for $99 from the Chota website with free shipping. (y)