chromo pattern, suspended

alfaromeo

Reaction score
this a new pattern i am trying to develop... first.. trip to hobbie shop, to get foam balls,, next get a dozen or so, pick out the bigger one. ( 8 mm ) toss the smaller ones.. repete this a few time to get enough........ i am using 6 pound tippet . ( stiffer to keep it from wrapping itself around the leader/ tippet )... get a sewing needle.. thread the tippet thru the needle..not that easy... the lenght of tippet i am useing is about 2 or 3 inches... push needle and tippet thru the foam ball( one side of the tippet shorter than the other ) pull needle thru the ball catch the the needle as it come out the other side,, pull short side of tippet out of the foam ball and needle,, on one side, tie a simple overhand knot... set aside do about 12 of them..lots of fun..if you have a cat or 2... they will try to help... after you have 12 or so made,, mix a small blob of 2 part epoxy.. smear a little of the epoxy just below the over hand knot,, slip foam ball over that set aside// will post more later..IMG_20210907_184804.jpgIMG_20210907_184852.jpgIMG_20210907_184809.jpg

Last edited:

alfaromeo

Reaction score
first fly// need some pratice.. whip finish is kinda hard to do.. tie the mono to the hook, then tie your fly... sorry for photos,, cell phone cameraIMG_20210907_213348.jpgIMG_20210907_213612.jpgIMG_20210907_214628.jpg

alfaromeo

Reaction score
better idea.. instead of a thread body.. i will use a floss body, shinyer,, lays flat,, try tommorrrow

alfaromeo

Reaction score
3 rd try floss works better on the body.. but pain in ' were i sit ' to whip finish.... must rethink

flav

Reaction score
Bend the mono so it points straight up, out of the way, then you can whip finish in front of it with no problems.
Looks like a parasol emerger with a foam ball instead of a poly yarn puff. I tied several parasols up a few years ago and gave them a go. No bueno. I do better with a small dry fly and a very short dropper, but the parasol is an interesting concept that seems like it should work.
Good luck with your tying experiments, and let us know how the fish like them.

JoJer

Reaction score
Alfa, Have you thought of trying 'Lil Corkies? Come with a hole thru the center, lots of colors, and flat or gloss finishes.

satyr

Reaction score
It looks like I could just use the black widow egg cases from the patio for this. Same size and color! I wonder how long they will stay afloat?