Chuck-n-Duck Flyfishing for Kings

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Is crowding ever an issue during the season in your neck of the woods? Well, here in NY During the run , it is ; you’re usually standing shoulder to shoulder , every day , all day. Granted , if you’re willing to hike in deep, you can get away from the crowds , then swinging flies/ sort casting becomes feasible , but when fishing in easy access areas , it’s near impossible without a fight breaking out . A spot I love to fish every year is right In front of a dam in the middle of town, so it’s always crowded. The most effective method I’ve found to fish under these conditions , as a fly fisherman , is to use a version of the basic Chuck in duck Methodology : heavily weighted flies on a fairly short leader; making short casts And dead drifting the fly. This way, you’re not waving your rod around in another guys face and you can compete with the bait casters and other spin fishermen. Recently , I just had a guy make me a 9’ 10 wt rod for this purpose using the Loomis Crosscurrent blanks . Can’t wait to test it out !!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I will take a wild guess and say that you are talking about the Oswego River. Though crowded water during salmon season is basically the same on all Lake Ontario tribs. I fish the Salmon River and honestly have little trouble casting how I want. I have a few spots that I go to that don't get to bad and I get up early to get my spot and I just stand my ground and fish if somebody gets to close, I keep casting as I did before they got there. Usually once someone realizes you arent going anywhere and wont be intimidated they back off. And if someone wants to cast in the same spot that I am casting , well go for it, after our lines get tangled a couple times they will leave.