Classic Keys Tarpon flies?

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Just got some nice ones from SS flies and want to tie more of these sort of muted patterns. The white lightning was a top fly for baby tarpon in the Yucatan, at one little mangrove creek I got 26 eats in a row, won't say how many I landed but pretty low count. If you have any patterns or photos please post.

nav

Reaction score
Other question from a newby : why so many tarpon flies are tyed on the second part of the shank ? why so much space between the fly head and the hook eye ?

pnc

Reaction score
Not sure of "white lightning". Only guess is white. Doesn't ring any bells as far a what is considered classics keys.
Toads have may have become the most used in past few years. Slower sink makes them easy to fish. Hence easier for newbies to catch fish. Guides love them. Personally like classic ties better for ease of casting.
Homosassa Special, Stu Apte, Cockroach, Red & White. Could go on and on. And Whistler's for dirty water or deeper presentations.

thom

Reaction score
Other question from a newby : why so many tarpon flies are tyed on the second part of the shank ? why so much space between the fly head and the hook eye ?
Among other considerations long untied shank allows snelling as opposed to a regular knot.

Denduke

Reaction score
+1 on the snelling. Mostly a carryover from the past to eliminate a big knot in the 80# bite tippets I was told but helps also for the long feathers tied well back so not to foul in the hook. May not be the best example cuz 2 things tarpon flies need to be not overly flashy and designed to push water... Most photos of tarpon with a fly in their mouth is a big black feathered one with big hackle head.👍

59B858F4-5D2D-4663-83D4-36B608CCC096.jpegD7E0BBA9-4BBB-47F2-8AE3-33DFCB306F8D.jpeg1E66BD98-165A-4A42-AA9C-42D35A11BD3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Wet dreams

Reaction score
Some think snelling improves the hook setting ability. I have not put this to the test.

The Keys classics that I am interested in are: Lemon drop, White lightning, Run around Sue (have the patterns for these, and Diggler, and Coker Smoker, not sure on these. There are some others of this type of subdued fly, somewhat muted in appearance.

thom

Reaction score
You see this Coker Smoker recipe?