Clouser “Sculpin” color

trev

Reaction score
well, if that fly above came from Lefty or Bob it must be rusty brown over pale orange, then I'd need to source my materials from the same place they did or the colors could be a shade or two off. I've seen dark olive over light olive and brown over tan recommended as sculpin colors for Clousers.
Brown over olive would be a closer match for the sculpin I've caught I think, but I have doubts that exact color mach is required for the Deep Minnows, I think the shape and any contrast of dark over light will trigger hits.
Thanks for the article @Joey Bagels, I probably let my subscription run out in '86 or '87, so never saw that. and first saw the Deep Minnow at an Orvis store in the mid/late '90s. That store didn't survive long in NW Arkansas.

philly

Reaction score
It looks to me like dark brown over yellow to keep it simple. Most sculpins I've seen a have been olive or brown. I agree with trev that a contrast of dark over light should work. If you don't have a dyed brown bucktail, look at the back of any dyed bucktail you have. You might find the color you're looking for there.

dthawks10

Reaction score
Well, I just couldn’t put this to bed, so it looks like Umpqua ties this commercially. I reached out to customer service and asked what the light color is. They responded and said it is pale orange. However, pale orange is no longer made and it’s died custom in-house. The rep said a good alternative would be pastel orange. Guess I’m going to scoop up some pastel orange, because you know the smallmouth care….

riverbilly

Reaction score
If you could find some of that old Tang orange drink and dyed some white bucktail in it, I bet you'd be close. :D

That is a good looking color combo, and I know I saw in a shop some years back. That is a commercial tye.

Last edited:

ddb

Reaction score
Here's me being nit-picky.

I have no doubt this "Minnow/sculpin" works effectively like all the other Clousers.

But the colors and shape do not resemble any sculpin I have ever seen and it fishes faster than natural sculpin move in the water. IMO, the colors and gliding/darting movement of this Clouser may more closely imitate crawfish and trigger lots of strikes on that count.

pnc

Reaction score
Top looks brown with a little olive mixed in.
Gold flash.
Bottem is a golden yellow. Can't see that as any kind of orange.
Though brown & orange are commonly used for various flies. Don't think this is the case for fly pictured in OP.