Columbia Falls MT

David Goddard

Reaction score
I am heading to Columbia Falls for my honeymoon on Aug. 9th. I'm from Central Missouri and pretty much only bass fish but I do fly fish for bluegills and trout some. I'm no expert fly fisherman by any means, but I have always wanted to catch a big grayling and a big cutthroat. I am a catch and release angler and if I am fortunate enough to catch a trophy fish I would get a replica made which I've done before.

Moral of the story is, I would love it if anyone would be willing to let me know what lake or streams to fish to give myself a chance at a grayling. I don't know anything about the region, obviously, or of there are even grayling around Columbia Falls.

I am not asking for anyone's spots. As I know that I would never publish my good areas back home on the web but if anyone would like to direct message me some general info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and tight lines.

P.S. Heres what I catch/target in Missouri.

Attachments

clawsar

Reaction score
Big may be hard to come buy but you can certainly find some cutties. If you grab a guide, there are lots of good half or full day floats on the three forks of the Flathead or the main stem. Saves you the hassle of packing the rod too.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Not trying to burst your bubble here, but big fish in NW Montana are not the same as big fish in the SW part of Montana.
If your goal is to catch a cuttie and grayling, than you might have better success. Grayling up here are relatively small as well. Most are found in lakes, not rivers or streams. While there are big cutties up here, the average fish caught in NW montana is 12 to 14 inches. That being said, I have caught many 18 to 20 inch cutties as well. Anything over 20 inches is a trophy fish in NW Montana but more common in the SW part of the state.
My suggestion is to divide your goal in two parts. Catching fish on a fly rod and than catching a grayling on a fly rod.
Start with the FWP site...https://myfwp.mt.gov/fishMT/reports/surveyreport