Columbia Outdry Rain Jacket

billk

Reaction score
Im tired of my gore-tex jackets not lasting. I have tried washing them as recommended but that hasnt solved my issue of having them wet out in sustained rain.
I have owned many gore-tex jackets, usually spending $200 or $250. I have not splurged for the $400 models.
I recently purchased a Outdry Titanium Jacket for $120. So far I have only used it in 2 days of consistent rain but it worked great. The jacket is not supposed to have the wetting out issues. My only suggestion would be for better wrist cuffs.

osseous

Reaction score
DWR is key. Reapply your DWR and you should see much better performance re wetting out issue

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Im tired of my gore-tex jackets not lasting. I have tried washing them as recommended but that hasnt solved my issue of having them wet out in sustained rain.
As Osseous said washing alone will not prevent "wet out".

Wet out occurs NOT because water leaks INTO the jacket, It occurs because water vapor CANNOT leak OUT OF the jacket. You need to spray the outside of the jacket AFTER washing with a DWR (Durable Water Repellency) coating.

I use Nikwax TX.Direct. It has performed well for me. The product you use to wash your waders is important. It should be a powder and not a liquid, and it should be unscented. That is to prevent any detergent residues that would interfere with the DWR application or seal the Gortex pores. I use Ivory Snow unscented powder. Alternatively, you can use a residue free product like Sport-Wash.

Read the 3rd post in this link for a more complete discussion of how to treat your Gortex jacket:

Last edited:

ryc72

Reaction score
Or you could just get the Columbia jacket and be done with the maintenance. To avoid the wet out issue I got the Columbia jacket as well. So far so good. Makes me wonder though... if goretex jackets wet out, why don’t goretex waders wet out as well? I know one of you smart folks know the answer to this.

silver creek

Reaction score
Or you could just get the Columbia jacket and be done with the maintenance. To avoid the wet out issue I got the Columbia jacket as well. So far so good. Makes me wonder though... if goretex jackets wet out, why don’t goretex waders wet out as well? I know one of you smart folks know the answer to this.
Gortex waders do eventually suffer from wet out. You will start to notice that your pants begin to feel clammy if you spend a lot of time in the water.

When you get out of the water, if your waders have a coating of water rather than the water beading up on the surface, the waders cannot breath. Waders with "wet out" cannot breath in or out of the water. Waders with an intact DWR can actually breath underwater when the water outside the wader is cold. The warm water vapor passes through the Gortex.

Last edited:

billk

Reaction score
I applied the treatment after washing. It was a liquid though.
For now, with the Columbia I dont have to do any of that and Im not worried about being in the middle of almost nowhere for a week with a leaky jacket.
I have been there and done that a couple of times.

osseous

Reaction score
Any fabric, from any maker will benefit from frequent application of DWR. "Columbia" holds no magic here- Gotta have beading to have breathability.

billk

Reaction score
This is not a gore-tex jacket. It does not need treatment. Thats the magic

osseous

Reaction score
Not so- DWR allows ANY waterproof breathable to work. If water doesn't bead and run off, the fabric cannot pass water vapor. Has nothing to do with the brand.

silver creek

Reaction score
This is not a gore-tex jacket. It does not need treatment. Thats the magic
If it is a "breathable" waterproof jacket, it needs treatment.

Gore Tex is a specific brand and type of breathable fabric using teflon (PTFE) as the breathable membrane.

There are breathable materials than use polyurethane as the breathable membrane. One brand name is Storm Fit by Nike.

Other breathable fabrics are breathable Supplex and breathable Taslan.

ryc72

Reaction score
I think the way the Columbia jacket works is that it is a micro perforated rubber jacket. So the perforations let water vapor through but not water itself. It’s not a multi layer jacket. Just a rubber jacket with tiny holes.

silver creek

Reaction score
I think the way the Columbia jacket works is that it is a micro perforated rubber jacket. So the perforations let water vapor through but not water itself. It’s not a multi layer jacket. Just a rubber jacket with tiny holes.
Good to know.

I was able to find this reference that compares the "OutDry" that Columbia uses with Gortex.

"Breathability
One of the most important qualities of a sports jacket, breathability must be taken into consideration in order to avoid overheating and excessive sweating.

In this regard, OutDry Extreme provides an adequate level of breathability, especially considering that it is a fully waterproof fabric. But, compared to Gore-Tex, OutDry Extreme is more prone to overheating and also tends to be a bit heavier.

However, keep in mind that jacket design is also important, as Columbia has tried to mitigate the overheating tendency of OutDry Extreme by adding pit zips on some designs, which help keep you cooler when outdoors."

billk

Reaction score
Outdry Extreme is not another brand of Gore-tex like construction like Dry-tex. I have had those also.

From Norway Geographical.com

OutDry Extreme is a two-layer fabric, bound together by heat. Because it leaves no gaps in between and with the upper membrane being fully waterproof, there is no need for DWR treatments to protect the jacket against the rain.

Gore-Tex, however, relies on DWR treatments to minimize water contact that helps further waterproof the fabric.
DWR coatings tend to degrade overtime, which makes the jacket not only more vulnerable in bad weather, but prone to overheating as well, due to the clogging of pores from the water.

This is why DWR requires regular maintenance in order for the jacket to keep up its ability to protect against the weather.

I have no connection with Columbia, just trying to share some info and seem to be getting some resistance for that for some reason.

osseous

Reaction score
Apologies- I googled Outdry and it appears to be a new approach- with the membrane on the outside. Haven't seen one of their jackets with this fabric yet. My concern would be damaging the membrane- and losing all protection. Goretex does not allow water to pass back through the fabric when wetted out- despite some theories online. If it did, waders could not be made with it. When you put the membrane on the outside, wear becomes the enemy.

Rick11

Reaction score
I bought a Colombia jacket and it don’t work maybe the first 6 months after that I walked around soaked

ryc72

Reaction score
Weird. Mine is still going great. But then again I’m not fishing in the rain days on end. Although I wish I had the opportunity to do that.