Consensus on skagit line weight?

LOC

Reaction score
This seems to be a ongoing subject matter.

What's the latest consensus on skagit head weight for a rod rating?

Is it head + plus tip = total grain weight.

Is it match head weight to suggested grain weight for rod.

Thanks

huronfly

Reaction score
With "skagit casting", the tip is assumed to be anchored IN the water, thus the tip is not included in weight.

Example: A rod with skagit rating of 480-560 would take a skagit head within that range.

With tiny micro skagits, the rules seem to change, but I don't use those much.

LOC

Reaction score
With "skagit casting", the tip is assumed to be anchored IN the water, thus the tip is not included in weight.

Example: A rod with skagit rating of 480-560 would take a skagit head within that range.

With tiny micro skagits, the rules seem to change, but I don't use those much.
What length would you consider micro skagit and thanks!

huronfly

Reaction score
What length would you consider micro skagit and thanks!
Lines like OPST commando would fall into this category, they recommend 75-100 grains less than a typical skagit head. I'm not sure if any others have the same recommendation but certainly can confuse things.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I dont figure tip into line weight, but I consider it. I think it matters more if you are fishing a soft rod or maxing out the grain window and then figuring on using 10 or more feet of T-18 and a heavy fly. The new shorter skagits have a max payload listed on the line chart, t-11 or t-14. If I need anything heavier than that and large flies I go to a full skagit. The bigger the line the more it will carry and large flies will cast better, to me its noticeable. That being said I fish classics and tubes most of the time on T-14 MOW or less so the OPST or even a scandi it just fine for that depending on how deep I want to swing. Even then its what you like, some guys like a slower heavy feel and some like lighter and snappy on the cast and swing.

jjcm

Reaction score
The line itself is what casts the tip, leader, and fly. If it would be a D-loop cast, then the line in the loop that is bending the rod is what loads it to throw the rest of the system, the anchor. Others mentioned this above. I understand that a part of the reason for variations in suggested grain weight to given fly rod weight goes back to casting methods, like the continual motion style or the D-loop loaded style. Lighter grain weights that are suggested in some of the micro Skagit line systems are different primarily because of the different casting methods. In a continual motion cast it is the motion and tension of the cast that effects how the rod loads, which requires less weight. Not sure if tip weight plays a role in that. I thought that it is the constant tension without pause as opposed to a pause to form a cast that depends more on the line’s weight without the tip having much of a significant bearing on load.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
In a continual motion cast it is the motion and tension of the cast that effects how the rod loads, which requires less weight.
In thinking about a 'continual motion cast', it seems to me that a great deal more of the line is in play than in a static cast, so the load is the total of the moving line and might actually be greater than the load in the static loop of a heavier line. Say 40' of moving 3g/ft line (120g) as opposed to 20' of static 5g/ft line (100g).
But, that is just a random thought from a non-Skagit user.

LOC

Reaction score
Hmmm so it does get a bit confusing and I should add this if for a short spey 11'11" rod. I'll aim for matching head wt to rod weight the line I was looking at will be too light.

For anyone looking for a great deal on a 275 grain Rio short spey skagit integrated line there's one on the auction site for 41 bucks new in box.

Thanks for the replies folks!