Cool Find!

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
I was cleaning up my great-grandfathers old tackle box that I inherited when I was a kid (30 now) and found these tucked in a little box.

These big ol dries were the only fly related items I found in his old tackle box full of packs of snell hooks leaders with 29c price tags, rusting spoons, giant weights, and other assorted large heavy tackle. I found this mislabeled hook box tucked in the bottom, and inside were these 2 dries. I always thought he was just a cat fishing guy.

In terms of dating them my guess is they are at least 40 years old based on when I got the box (1997), how old he was (76), and then assuming he hadn’t fished or used the tackle box in some years before his passing. After That I have no way of knowing when he may have obtained/made them.

Anyway I thought it was a pretty cool find and was just curious if anyone might know more about them and why they are so big in comparison to any dry I have ever seen. What would you fish for with these? Outfit?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jgm1HB]

Attachments

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have seen and acquired very similar flies back in the late 1960's and the 70's, they were old when I got them. This is not to say that what you have are circa 1960 - 65 but it would not surprise me. I may be quite wrong but I think this type fly was meant to be a Bass fly and I have no Idea where they were made. Because of their size I suspect they were either imported or were made by tiers who had no concept of proper size and proportions for dry flies.

Still an interesting conversation piece though.

Bam Boozelled

Reaction score
So for a bit of an update, after speaking with my grandmother they spent time in the 70’s living near a part of the Colorado River on the California side she couldn’t recall the towns name. She said he fished all the time and that was the reason for living there.

Also after reaching out to other resources it was mentioned these look to match a 1978 Orvis Catalogue. Left is a Mcphail ginger wulff. The right is a white wulff.

Also I found it very ironic that I tied my very first Royal Wulff pattern just a couple weeks ago before finding these. Crazy.