Cooper Landing

bushak

Reaction score
Hope everyone's fall is going well. My girlfriend and I are headed down to Cooper Landing the first weekend in October. I'll have a few hours here or there to fish. My experience is primarily Quartz Creek since I like to tenkara fish with a bead. I have a few logistical questions:

1. Is it possible to get to the Russian River without taking the ferry? I've avoided the area because it's always packed but figure numbers should be down in October.

2. I've seen people fish from shore all over the upper Kenai. There should still be some silver salmon in the system. Is it worth parking and fishing in some of the pull out areas or would I be better to just focus all my time on Russian River?

flytie09

Reaction score
Never mind. I found your previous posts. I just never imagined fishing a Tenkara in AK with beads.

YouTube

Last edited:

bushak

Reaction score
It's pretty much the same concept as using using a beadhead nymph. It's absolutely dynamite on smaller streams like Quartz or on any of the streams in Juneau. Bigger streams or rivers I just use 5 or 6 weight.

bushak

Reaction score
Ended up just fishing the Russian River. I've largely avoided it in my 10 years in Alaska as I don't really care for large crowds. The weather was beautiful which made for a nice weekend of work release from Bethel.
zB0QX58OStyGd+EquCFhiQ.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_32.jpg

Attachments

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your first post, by now you may know that if you enter via the USF&W area at Russian River Campground and park at the Grayling lot you can access easily. I'd advise walking upstream toward lower falls if trout fishing.

I'll send you some road access spots PM.

bushak

Reaction score
Sorry I missed your first post, by now you may know that if you enter via the USF&W area at Russian River Campground and park at the Grayling lot you can access easily. I'd advise walking upstream toward lower falls if trout fishing.

I'll send you some road access spots PM.
No worries! I generally prefer stream fishing so the Russian River, on a cool fall day, made for a beautiful weekend.