Coronavirus and the travelling angler

luj333

Reaction score
Have a trip to Belize in April and Kendjam in late July. Hopefully this doesn't derail either...

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I jus returned from Andros, passing through the Nassau and Boston airports. Even the locals on Andros, to my surprise, are worried about it -- because they get so many foreign visitors who come to fish. In the Nassau airport I saw a few people wearing surgical gloves or face masks. The officials were asking whether you had visited China in the last two weeks, but not other outbreak centers like Italy or Iran or Seattle. The passengers in the seats next to me on the flight to Boston had a big jar of Clorox disinfecting wipes and wiped down every surface within reach before taking their seats. I begged a few wipes from them and did the same.

Matt4.0

Reaction score
Nice to read something actually logical and explanatory, rather than the click bait headlines the media is throwing out everywhere.

karstopo

Reaction score
Covid-19 is here and likely widespread at this point with cases popping up daily in more and more countries and communities. You might have already been exposed to it or you could soon be unless you hole up someplace avoiding all human contact. The more people you have contact with and the more places you travel with masses of people, the more likelihood that you will come in contact with the virus.

But it’s likely also that you may not actually get infected in spite of being in close proximity of the virus or if you do get infected have but relatively mild or ordinary cold or flu like symptoms. It seems unlikely, but not impossible, that you will get a severe case that is life threatening or demands hospitalization. The chance of that bad outcome appears to be more likely if there are other underlying health issues or advanced age comes into play.

But with foreign and our own governments coming into play, there could be a case where you might not be able to get to a place you want to go when you want to go or be marooned or put into a quarantine.

jayr

Reaction score
Covid-19 is here and likely widespread at this point with cases popping up daily in more and more countries and communities. You might have already been exposed to it or you could soon be unless you hole up someplace avoiding all human contact. The more people you have contact with and the more places you travel with masses of people, the more likelihood that you will come in contact with the virus.

But it’s likely also that you may not actually get infected in spite of being in close proximity of the virus or if you do get infected have but relatively mild or ordinary cold or flu like symptoms. It seems unlikely, but not impossible, that you will get a severe case that is life threatening or demands hospitalization. The chance of that bad outcome appears to be more likely if there are other underlying health issues or advanced age comes into play.

But with foreign and our own governments coming into play, there could be a case where you might not be able to get to a place you want to go when you want to go or be marooned or put into a quarantine.
Excellent points, all.

I would also be concerned that if on a trip if bad enough, a good hospital might not be near or even available.

And if there is a ban on incoming people from a place that you happen to be, you're stuck wherever you are be it a third world nation or not. Couple that with having health insurance that most likely will not be accepted in said country.

A real conundrum as they say............

ETA: And then you read news stories such as this:

New Hampshire man ignored advice to stay home before testing positive for coronavirus, raises self-quarantine questions | Fox News

joe_strummer

Reaction score
People were traveling freely in and out of ground zero for weeks. The big physics conference that was cancelled in Denver this past weekend -- I have co-workers who spent the weekend with international travelers, including from Japan and South Korea, who were already here for it. We should start to see the number of confirmed cases in the US rise dramatically over the next couple of weeks.

If the CDC ever gets a functional diagnostic in the field.

karstopo

Reaction score
What is the value of even diagnosing for Covid-19 at this point. Are there any specific therapies? Covid-19 is out and freely traveling between human to human contact. There’s no stopping it now from circulating throughout the population. All these quarantines and travel bans are simply shutting the door after the horse is out.

jayr

Reaction score
What is the value of even diagnosing for Covid-19 at this point. Are there any specific therapies? Covid-19 is out and freely traveling between human to human contact. There’s no stopping it now from circulating throughout the population. All these quarantines and travel bans are simply shutting the door after the horse is out.
Agreed, unless someone can tell me what I am missing, the horse has long left the barn.

As evidenced by the reality that those that are told they test positive and to "self quarantine" are not doing it anyway as referenced by the article in my above post. Not to mention that they have probably have had it for sometime before even being tested.

Also, throw in the reality that the tests are not that reliable.

It's not a matter of if, only when...........

And just now read this little gem:

Access Denied

He is the first one in TN to have contracted it. He flew on a plane from Boston to Nashville. Wonder how many in the plane, airport, gift shop, food court, etc., etc. came into contact with him.......:confused:

karstopo

Reaction score
“Most of us are going to get this virus. It's undeniable. You won't find a single expert out there who is saying that this is going to be contained," said Phillips, who serves as the George Washington University School of Medicine's operational medicine fellowship director.

"And, the more we learn about it, the more we see that the spread is going to be global and, for the most part, that's OK because the data we know from China shows that roughly 98 to 99 percent of us are going to do very, very, well," he told Henry.

You will likely get Covid-19 and very likely recover from it with zero issues.

hatidua

Reaction score
I'm more worried about the health of the economy than I am about the health of my body at this point. That said, I have a trip to Mexico in May that I'm not unwilling to cancel if things go sideways by then.

driftless22

Reaction score
i previously booked a trip to Argentina next month. Because of my age, I am considered to be at greater risk. I have some hard decisions to make between now and then, particularly if things get much worse, and current trends are not encouraging.

yikes

Reaction score
i previously booked a trip to Argentina next month. Because of my age, I am considered to be at greater risk. I have some hard decisions to make between now and then, particularly if things get much worse, and current trends are not encouraging.
Why not buy travel insurance? I had a trip to Japan at the end of February, and at the time (due to the cruise ship that was in the news) it was looking iffy to me as to whether there would be travel ban restrictions to Japan. I purchased travel insurance from a reputable company (Berkshire Hathaway) for 2 people for less than $100 for a $4000 trip. That included $500k coverage for emergency medical evacuation.

okaloosa

Reaction score
“Most of us are going to get this virus. It's undeniable. You won't find a single expert out there who is saying that this is going to be contained," said Phillips, who serves as the George Washington University School of Medicine's operational medicine fellowship director.

"And, the more we learn about it, the more we see that the spread is going to be global and, for the most part, that's OK because the data we know from China shows that roughly 98 to 99 percent of us are going to do very, very, well," he told Henry.

probably, but most likely someone you love or care about wont.
here are the epidemiological predictions put out by american hospital association for the USA for the next 2 months if it goes unchecked as Phillips suggests...

96,000,000 infections
4,800,000 hospitalizations
1,900,000 ICU admissions
480,000 deaths

vs flu in 2019:

35,500,000 infections
490,600 hospitalizations
49,000 ICU admissions
34,200 deaths

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Why not buy travel insurance? I had a trip to Japan at the end of February, and at the time (due to the cruise ship that was in the news) it was looking iffy to me as to whether there would be travel ban restrictions to Japan. I purchased travel insurance from a reputable company (Berkshire Hathaway) for 2 people for less than $100 for a $4000 trip. That included $500k coverage for emergency medical evacuation.
That’s a good deal. Mine cost $400 for 10K cancellation / interruption insurance. Medical is covered by another plan we have.

karstopo

Reaction score
probably, but most likely someone you love or care about wont.
here are the epidemiological predictions put out by american hospital association for the USA for the next 2 months if it goes unchecked as Phillips suggests...

96,000,000 infections
4,800,000 hospitalizations
1,900,000 ICU admissions
480,000 deaths

vs flu in 2019:

35,500,000 infections
490,600 hospitalizations
49,000 ICU admissions
34,200 deaths
Not seeing anything like those numbers in China where Covid-19 has been circulating in the population for a couple of months, right in the heart of winter when Corona viruses thrive.

Wonder why the AHA has such a grim forecast for the USA and what data does it base such an outcome on?

If the USA gets 1/100 of the forecast, I’ll be surprised.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Not seeing anything like those numbers in China where Covid-19 has been circulating in the population for a couple of months, right in the heart of winter when Corona viruses thrive.

Wonder why the AHA has such a grim forecast for the USA and what data does it base such an outcome on?

If the USA gets 1/100 of the forecast, I’ll be surprised.
I certainly hope you are correct. Of course, China may be different for 2 reasons
1)they may not be transparent or simply unaware about the number of infected and deceased.
2)they are more willing to put severe containment policies in effect.

redietz

Reaction score
The mortaility rate for the 70-80 year old group is close to 80% (it's trivial for those, say, under 40). It's higher if you have an underlying medical condition, and higher if you're a male. I'm 68, have type-2 diabetes, and I'm a male.

I'm avoiding crowds and not travelling on a plane until I see how things pan out.