Cortland 444 Sylk WF

myster

Reaction score
After searching the webs ad nauseam regarding this particular line, I still have a few questions for those who may be familiar with it.
I'm looking to pair it (Cortland 444 Sylk WF) with my 5wt Fenwick Fenglass, and use it mostly for Texas Hill Country streams and rivers.

My questions are:
1) How well does it show up (visibility) on the water's surface? I've been using Rio's "Light Line", and it's brown color makes it incredibly difficult to see and track in certain light conditions.
2) How does it cast poppers and other other popular bass and panfish bugs (within reason)? For that matter, weghted nymphs and streamers? The "Light Line" seems to do well with dries, hopper-dropper settups within reason, and ok with nymphing. On the other hand, tossing streamers (weighted) can be a little difficult. Or I just need to practice more.
3) Would "over-lining" be a permissible option, as this would be primarily a warm-water species set-up?

I have Cortland's 444 Peach WF on my 4wt Echo glass rod, and it is a pretty solid pairing; it's probably my favorite settup I'm lucky enough to own. Would I be better off putting this on my 5wt as well?

I know it's getting crazy out there, just trying to do something to get a respite from the situation, if only for a few hours at a time.

Thanks in advance, and stay safe out there.

flytie09

Reaction score
If it was me...I would say to just stay with the 444 Peach on your 5 WT. Maybe upsize to a 6 WT line if you're looking at a warmwater setup.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using a DTF Sylk for a while,....I only fish on dry or light nymph on sight it's a great line for that purpose:thumbup: ,I don't think it's the most convenient line for yours.;)

LePetomane

Reaction score
I'm late to this party but I would stay with the 444 WF line. It is hard to beat that line. Actually I still use a Cortland 333 on my Fenwick Woodstream. I purchased the line in the 80's. It is still in great shape.

trev

Reaction score
I believe any fiberglass rod does best with a DT line. The 444, 333, Aircell, 406, etc. were designed for use with 'glass rods. WF are fine in close but are really on;y half a line. I fish ''vintage'' 'glass almost exclusively and most often chose a level floating line for bass fishing.