Cortland Competition MK II Nymph Fly Rod

KevinF

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about getting this rod. I watched a review on Trident's website. It was by that Ben guy. One thing has me confused. In the review he says it goes for $675.00. But on the same page there is a link to buy it for $495.00. It's funny because in the video he says if it went for around $500 it would be "an absolutely stellar choice". Also, when looking at other websites, including Cortland, I only see $495.00. Does anybody know if there was a different rod with the same name at some point. I'm trying to figure out if the rod he refers to as $675.00 is the same one listed for $495.00.

Last edited:

fishrite86

Reaction score
I believe they dropped their prices. That rod is nice but just my two cents Ben isn’t the best euro Rod reviewer. I trust devin olsens reviews. He is very fair. Also trout and co is solid on their reviews.

caddis75

Reaction score
Just my two cents. I owned that rod in a 3 wt and fished it HARD for a solid year, bought from D Olsen. I sold it and got a Cortland Nymph 2 wt, same length and it beats the pants off it in every scenario I toss at it.

KevinF

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've been a little skeptical of Ben's reviews too. In each Euro rod review I've seen he seems to say something like, "it ain't no Sage ESN." I'll take a look at Olsen and Trout an Co.

Last edited:

finny khan

Reaction score
caddis75- to be clear you replaced it with the Cortland Nymph Series, that sells for $300 ? Thanks

fishrite86

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I've been a little skeptical of Ben's reviews too. In each Euro rod review I've seen he seems to say something like, "it ain't no Sage ESN." I'll take a look at Olsen and Trout an Co.
no dig on him but the sage esn isn’t the top any longer

caddis75

Reaction score
caddis75- to be clear you replaced it with the Cortland Nymph Series, that sells for $300 ? Thanks
Yep. 11'6" MK 3 weight for a Cortland nymph 11'6" 2 wt. I used the difference to save up for a TT 10'9" 3 wt. In the meantime, I picked up a nice 10' 3 wt from a small company, Yellowfin, as an interim, but it is also a really nice rod.

Last edited:

KevinF

Reaction score
I've narrowed my decision down to three rods. I'm going with a 10 ft 3 wt. The MK II was available on the Avidmax site and I could have gotten it for $100.00 off but I missed it. I've conversed with Devin Olsen and he thinks any of these would be a good choice.

Syndicate Pipeline P2
Vision Nymphmaniac
Soldarini Hydropsyche RCX

I've heard a lot about the first two but nothing on the Soldarini. The advantage of this rod is the downlocking reel seat.

Any comment/suggestion before I pull the trigger?

Last edited:

fishrite86

Reaction score
I trust Devins opinion I look forward to hearing others input and what you decide to go with.

KevinF

Reaction score
I've decided to go with the Cortland Nymph Series 10.5 ft 3 wt. I'll be adding the Hanak Superb 1/3 reel and the Cortland Braided Euro Nymph line. I went back and forth between the 3 rods I mentioned in this thread and then started looking at the Nymph Series. Did lots of emailing with Devin Olsen. He was great. I'll be ordering everything from the Tactical Fly Fisher website. I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of the rods. The Cortland just feels right, if that makes any sense. It has a down locking reel seat and the stripper guide is on the butt section which I've heard will decrease slack. Once I have it in my hands and get it on the water I'll let you know how I like it.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I know nothing about this nymphing method but have any of you checked out the new Hardy Ultralite LL's?

KevinF

Reaction score
I did not. I'm just getting into this and I didn't want to make that kind of investment. So far I've only added a Rio Shorty to my 9ft 5wt. I think I'll enjoy it long term. Time will tell. I went with a lower priced rod with good reviews. Maybe after a season or two I'll upgrade. Maybe I'll put it on the shelf and spend my time tossing dry flies. If I upgrade, the Hardy will get a good look. With that kind of output I'll need to put my hands on one. Orvis is the only shop I have anywhere near me. The Fly Fishing show will be in Lancaster, PA next March. Not a day trip but would be worth a weekend excursion.

KevinF

Reaction score
I'll have to try that. Only rod I've cast that's longer than my 9 ft was a spey at one of the Orvis clinics. I'll look for that video. Wonder if I'd used a regular 3 wt. I have a reel spooled up with some Rio Gold.