Cosmoledo on the Neap

camelbrass

Reaction score
I've finally sat down after arriving back from a great trip to Cosmoledo in the Seychelles. Weather was generally on the windy side and then went up a whole nother gear when we were hit with a Category 1 cyclone mid week. Neap tides meant that the fish were widely spread across the flats rather than concentrated so strategies that covered lots of deeper water with big flies produced the goods. There was still some great sight fishing though with some quality fish landed, although I had a relatively slow week with the exception of the trigger below and lots of smaller GTs. The benchmark for GTs is 1 metre and the week produced fish of 105, 111, 115, 120, 122 and 126. The photos show a couple of the better GTs including my mate Matt's 120cm fish caught and released in the surf.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Trevor: Some amazing photos!!! Thanks for sharing. Too bad about the strong winds, but still sounds like a really great time with pretty good results. Looking at the pic with your trigger, based on the grip the rod looks to be a new Sextant? Do you use a 9 or 10 for targeting triggers (or was that incidental catch when targeting something else)? Really love the Abel too! Bonefish pattern? Just awesome!

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Just bruteiful looking fish.

Looks like a Shilton on the other sextant? I’ve read great things about those reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camelbrass

Reaction score
Trevor: Some amazing photos!!! Thanks for sharing. Too bad about the strong winds, but still sounds like a really great time with pretty good results. Looking at the pic with your trigger, based on the grip the rod looks to be a new Sextant? Do you use a 9 or 10 for targeting triggers (or was that incidental catch when targeting something else)? Really love the Abel too! Bonefish pattern? Just awesome!
Hi Ed,

Yes it's the new Sextant on the trigger as well as on one of the GTs. I use a 10 but you could use a 9, you can only put so much pressure on 25lb leader and those fish despite they're shape pull hard and have a surprising burst of speed. You're usually specifically targeting them as they like broken bottom and turtle grass but you can come across them on white sand.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

camelbrass

Reaction score
Just bruteiful looking fish.

Looks like a Shilton on the other sextant? I’ve read great things about those reels.

Shilton reels are the default when fishing these areas. They follow the whole Abel cork drag tradition of less is more and are solidly built. Good value as well but getting more expensive.

Regards,

Trevor

cdcdun

Reaction score
Those GT’s are incredible and nice trigger...Did you run into any info-pacific permit on your trip?

Jake

camelbrass

Reaction score
Those GT’s are incredible and nice trigger...Did you run into any info-pacific permit on your trip?

Jake
Hi Jake,

Only got 1 amongst the group. Saw a few but it was neap tides so for most of the trip the flats were pretty deep.

I was very pleased with the trigger. They're probably my favourite and they've been scarce the last few trips.

Regards,

Trevor

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Trevor,
Just wondering what you use for backing on your big game reels? Are you using Dacron with nail knot to the fly line, or hollow core braid spliced to the line? Thanks.

camelbrass

Reaction score
On the 12wt I use 80lb braid with a double Bimini twist. Connection to the fly line is via a braided loop (I make them myself and cut off the factory loop) triple nail knotted to the fly line. I attach the braided loop to the bimini with a double catspaw.

Regards,

Trevor

Last edited: