Could be a very crowded fishing season- Covid quarantine rebound?

corn fed fins

Reaction score
If you would put up those signs it would be very helpful because then I would know exactly where to fish for those big spawners.
If only those people were just a bit dumber, they probably would try casting in a parking lot. I'll give you more credit.

Last edited:

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice. If my club starts now, we could have a permanent one in about 2 years. That's usually how long signage takes around here.
Sadly your club will struggle with the likes of Dan Brauch and Lori Martin. Your great river is a funny beast. The amount of time effort and money that they poor into that river yet nary a closure during the critical 3-6 weeks of spawn. All the while the fish in the spawning drainages of the Fork and Rado get the protection they need. Not really sure of why this dichotomy exists within their ranks.

Last edited:

Northcountryman

Reaction score
Went today to a new place, figuring that being Easter Sunday, should be pretty quiet- noyt so!! Parking lot was packed and at least half a dozen guys fishing in a 200 yd stretch. Not terrible as I've seen much worse, but surprised it was so busy on a holiday! Not sure what that portends for the season , but my gut feeling is, there will be higher than pre-covid usage on most public access streams.

wcoady

Reaction score
My favourite is when a Facebook page is dedicated to a certain river and everyone is posting pics of nice fish for all to see. What used to be a pretty nice spot can get outa hand quick. Especially in this covid era .

Swfl gladesman

Reaction score
Man reading this makes me realize how lucky I am to fish the Northern Everglades and 10 Thousand Island where it's possible to still get away from people.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Sadly your club will struggle with the likes of Dan Brauch and Lori Martin. Your great river is a funny beast. The amount of time effort and money that they poor into that river yet nary a closure during the critical 3-6 weeks of spawn. All the while the fish in the spawning drainages of the Fork and Rado get the protection they need. Not really sure of why this dichotomy exists within their ranks.
Actually Mr. Branch has nothing to do with our area. He is the CPW biologist in Gunnison. As for Ms. Martin, I have no idea who she is. The thought of closing the river during the spawn has been discussed on a low level. The problem is the river is part National Park, Wilderness Area, and conservation district. Not so easy getting any blanket policy. The biggest hurdle by far is CPW, as they are all about dollars and people management; thanks to the liberal fools that merged CDoW with Colorado Parks. Now our wildlife dollars are spent on dog runs and toilet cleaning!

redietz

Reaction score
Went today to a new place, figuring that being Easter Sunday, should be pretty quiet- noyt so!! Parking lot was packed and at least half a dozen guys fishing in a 200 yd stretch.
I didn't even try. I won't fish on weekend any more, even holiday ones (although I make an exception for Mother's day.)

I haven't heard Maryland figures yet, but Pennsylvania sold something like 50% more licenses last year than the year before.
To top it off, there have been so many people fishing here that a lot of land owners in places I've fished for decades have started posting their land. That only concentrates more people onto public land.

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Actually Mr. Branch has nothing to do with our area. He is the CPW biologist in Gunnison. As for Ms. Martin, I have no idea who she is. The thought of closing the river during the spawn has been discussed on a low level. The problem is the river is part National Park, Wilderness Area, and conservation district. Not so easy getting any blanket policy. The biggest hurdle by far is CPW, as they are all about dollars and people management; thanks to the liberal fools that merged CDoW with Colorado Parks. Now our wildlife dollars are spent on dog runs and toilet cleaning!
Brauch. When we wanted closures, we made it happen. It took 3 anglers to get the closures on 4 mile, canyon...etc. You do not have to wait for the meetings (round tables) to get involved, you can call these people and speak to them, set appointments, have meetings and use your public news resources. It takes a more diplomatic approach not just stomping your feelings down peoples throats. The closure of that area has been spoken about on more than a low level, for decades. Paved lots, flushing toilets and the like have taken a great deal of funds and does deteriorate the money the river receives for enhancement. The removal program has been a failure for this river in many ways. Left or right, sound fish management is the most important factor in your argument, water is not arguable as the feds rule the roost.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
We don't wait for round tables as they are a waste of time. We start with our regional biologist, get their input and, if need be, fund the preliminary study. From there we work up with the backing of our local biologist. Still though, getting regulations in a Nat'l Park is different than some state owned land.

Additionally, uniform restrictions are a problem. There is already confusion on an entire section of the river. Colorado is bad enough with game laws and units and I'll be damned if I participate in creating that mess for anglers.

Closures will come but has not been discussed at any public meeting or any meeting I have attended since I moved here concerning the river. Frankly though, it can all be avoided with simple education and that's what I would personally prefer. I enjoy fishing during the spawn as its a great time of the year to be on the water. Closures remove ALL the water and it's so simple to avoid redds and focus on the other 90% of the water.

The fewer that know of an area, the lesser the impact. Less impact means less restrictions. Less restrictions means greater freedom. I'm far from being a grumpy old man. Give me 30 years and we'll see then.😉

timoteo

Reaction score
Could part of the reason for the crowd you saw also be attributed to the first stretch of nice spring weather before runoff starts? More of a cabin fever crowd than a Covid crowd?
Maybe, however, I fished the same area the last two years at this same time, with about the same weather, and half as many people.

mikemac1

Reaction score
Is it going to be much more crowded on stream this year than normal ?
I am afraid so.
Went on my first fishing trip of the year last week.
The river I went to was a zoo, very discouraging.
It was difficult to find a place to even park near water that looked half decent.
Actual fishing spots were full of people.
In one run of about 80 feet, there were 8 people fishing!- four on each side; this is in the Western US/Rockies; never seen it like this before.
I had a guide get upset with me- he thought I was encroaching on his sports, when I was there first!
A private local stream that takes limited reservations; where I can usually get a spot with a few days notice at this time of year, is booked solid for weeks.
And it is still early in the fishing season for around here.
Could be a challenging year!
I am a “Hit em where they ain’t kind of angler”. It is a simple formula—fish where they ain’t, fish when they ain’t and most importantly fish where they can’t.

Two weeks ago I spent several productive hours all alone on the Yellowstone on two different days. All though there were a couple of anglers hanging around the FAS, I ventured well away in complete solitude.

This week I’ve been on the Florida Atlantic Coast in Mosquito Lagoon with my kayak and although the fishing has been marginal because of the weather, there are plenty of places to find solitude on the water. The same will hold true next week on the Florida Gulf Coast.

I really don’t think it matters where you fish, visiting and occasional anglers tend to congregate in the same predictable spots and all float to the surface like foam on a beer. YNP is crowded every year but its still not difficult to fish when and where they ain’t. Other anglers are not that hard to avoid if you know when and where to fish—Where They Ain’t.

timoteo

Reaction score
I am a “Hit em where they ain’t kind of angler”. It is a simple formula—fish where they ain’t, fish when they ain’t and most importantly fish where they can’t.

Two weeks ago I spent several productive hours all alone on the Yellowstone on two different days. All though there were a couple of anglers hanging around the FAS, I ventured well away in complete solitude.

This week I’ve been on the Florida Atlantic Coast in Mosquito Lagoon with my kayak and although the fishing has been marginal because of the weather, there are plenty of places to find solitude on the water. The same will hold true next week on the Florida Gulf Coast.

I really don’t think it matters where you fish, visiting and occasional anglers tend to congregate in the same predictable spots and all float to the surface like foam on a beer. YNP is crowded every year but its still not difficult to fish when and where they ain’t. Other anglers are not that hard to avoid if you know when and where to fish—Where They Ain’t.

mikemac1,
I agree with your thoughts.
Sometimes though, I want to fish a certain area, at a certain time, for specific reasons- in this case somewhere that I knew there was the possibility of catching large trout on dry flies, at this time of year-where most places this is not possible yet. Unfortunately, this place is not very big, and it is all very accessible. I knew all of this ahead of time of course, and expected it to be busy, just not as busy as it was. It took a few days, and was challenging, but I did find some large trout that I caught on small dry flies. By the way, this is not a local stream.

caddis75

Reaction score
I really didn't think it was going to be as crowded, but yesterday I dropped by my fly shop and the guys looked exhausted. They rarely look that way. Online orders and customers have gone up quite a bit it seems.

bumble54

Reaction score
Here in England, I've just seen pictures of one of our local fisheries, shoulder to shoulder, bait fishing, spinning and fly fishing, sat, stood, wading, my idea of hell on Earth. I'll give it a miss thank you very much.

Chris_in_Louisiana

Reaction score
Seems much calmer this April than last here in Louisiana. We do have a lot of water though, so plenty of room for people to spread out whether chasing warmwater species or salt.

As for Colorado, I can't speak for conditions personally, but know a blogger I follow had quite a few pics from a well known stretch of water in a recent post, and there wasn't another fisherman to be seen. Maybe it was just the fact it was a holiday weekend.