COVID-19 Alaska quarantine update

tcorfey

Reaction score
Found this reference in another website, I will have to look in to this further but ...

Alaska Quarentine Update

I also heard today that since opening back up the number of cases in Alaska has risen by 20 which is the most they have seen recently which suggests these rules may change.

bushak

Reaction score
I would be surprised if it went backwards because so much of Alaska is tourism dependent. It's worth keeping an eye on though but the bulk of the new cases involve the commercial fishery.

Brian in SLC

Reaction score
Any updates on travel and issues with flying to Alaska?

72 hour test prior to departure...(not arrival). With results...good to go?

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Cheers!

Clams

Reaction score
Any updates on travel and issues with flying to Alaska?

72 hour test prior to departure...(not arrival). With results...good to go?

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Cheers!
We flew into Anchorage last month with no problem. As soon as you land, they line you up at the next gate over. They will check for your negative results (you just have to show them the email that says "negative") and they will also help you complete the online declaration form right on your phone. The whole thing took 5 or 10 minutes. No sweat at all.

Browtine

Reaction score
I'm kicking back in Alaska as I type this. We did out Covid test through Picture Genetics. Results came back well within the 72 hours window. Filled out the online travel declaration before leaving for the airport. Printed the declaration out as it does have a barcode,

Came off the plane the screener scanned the barcode and looked at the results of the Covid test and we were on our way. Took maybe 2 minutes. Most places we've been Covid hasn't been a big deal. We are social distancing and wearing a mask around people. Following good hygiene with hand sanitizer, wipes and hand washing. The exception so far is Talkeetna. Some restaurants are only doing outdoor and takeout dinning. Most of the restaurants we have been to are very short staffed. It's been a rough season to get employees. We've been patient and tipped big.

Fishing has been decent along the Parks Highway. Rainbows are starting to chase flesh. Dolly's have been few but the one's we caught are big. Pinks are in the the crazy numbers. Some Chums around but for me the Silvers are slow.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I would avoid anywhere that you look into the water and see innumerable pink salmon. Very seldom will you be able to catch much more than pinned pinks. "Pinned" is a personal favorite of mine, it means foul hooked fish. If you catch a silver salmon handle with care as the runs are way below sustainment levels currently and if it's a deep hooked hen cut the line and let it go.

I have been catching silvers each trip am backing off until I see something that looks like an improvement in numbers. There are very few here even when combining half a dozen rivers and creeks they fail to add into a 30,000 fish run..................

Browtine

Reaction score
I would avoid anywhere that you look into the water and see innumerable pink salmon. Very seldom will you be able to catch much more than pinned pinks. "Pinned" is a personal favorite of mine, it means foul hooked fish. If you catch a silver salmon handle with care as the runs are way below sustainment levels currently and if it's a deep hooked hen cut the line and let it go.

I have been catching silvers each trip am backing off until I see something that looks like an improvement in numbers. There are very few here even when combining half a dozen rivers and creeks they fail to add into a 30,000 fish run..................
Got into Silvers at first light this morning. Solid action for about 2 hours. All released. Then came more Pinks. We did catch a some on Wogs and guess that made them OK. Moved up river and Chums and a couple Dolly we're fun. . We've enjoyed our time on the Parks. Now we're headed North for a few days of Grayling. Bows just haven't been great. When we swing back through we'll be focused on them.

Browtine

Reaction score
Got up to Fairbanks late yesterday. Most restaurant are carry out only. Open limited hours. Tough to find anything past 10 PM. 99% of the people were wearing masks and making an effort to distance, Lots of Caribou hunters around. Saw lots of antlers strapped to trailers.

Fished the Upper Chena. It was slow. Picked up a couple on dries and a few on nymphs. Water is up and a little dirty.

Browtine

Reaction score
Wanted to fish the Upper Chena again but water is still dirty, Opted to fish ponds and streams along the Steese Highway. We did OK with a bunch of small Bow's and Grayling. Stopped into the Silver Gulch Brewery. Great beer and food. They put a ton of effort into an outdoor drinking and dinning area. Sad to hear the stories of the Covid impact. These kids were counting on the summer season to pay for college. We tipped ridiculously well and wished we could have tipped more.

Browtine

Reaction score
Traveling home today. From our departure gate we could see the testing lines. Seemed like the people that filled out the online form and had their negative test printed were still whizzing through. I was surprised at the number of people that were not ready,

The airports were immaculate everywhere we were. Restrooms sparkling clean and they were being disinfected on a schedule. Limited restaurants were open and their hours were short. Obviously traveler numbers were way down, reminded me of the post 9/11 travel. It was easy to distance and everyone was respectful. All of our flights had the middle seats blocked (Delta). Masks were readily available as was hand sanitizer.

One thing of note. Budget Car Rental wanted a proof of insurance card. This was not listed anywhere as a rental requirement. Fortunately I had mine saved on my phone. I rent cars 25-30 times a year and have never been asked before. There were some upset folk in that line.

Brian in SLC

Reaction score
One thing of note. Budget Car Rental wanted a proof of insurance card.
'Preciate the head's up and the travel reporting!

We're still a couple of weeks out. Flying into Ketchikan. Hopefully get our test results back in time but have the first night planned to stay in town anyhow...

Thanks!

Brian in SLC

Reaction score
We arrived in Ketchikan prior to Labor Day weekend. One of us with results, me without but pending (stressful!). They scanned our info quickly and gave us the go ahead to leave the airport. We had planned our first night in Ketchikan anyhow, so, got negative results the next morning, I uploaded into the travel declaration that'd I'd filled out pre-trip and we left Ketchikan on the ferry to Hollis.

Was a fun trip. POW has a lot of options! Incredible amount of stream fishing. Silvers were a bit slow for us on the front end but picked up at the end of our two weeks. The Klawock hatchery run was pretty good and folks were filling fish boxes from it as their main source of Coho. We got into them on Staney Creek as well but was tougher fishing. We did hear at the airport that Staney was good later in the week as the numbers bounced up.

Water was low on the island. Most locals we talked to felt like both the marine and freshwater fishing was down a bit.

Pinks provided a lot of fun when the silvers weren't present. Even caught a sockeye on a fly. Caught a few dollies.

Have to say that the bigger silvers were crazy when hooked...amazing their burst of power and runs. Kept wishing for bigger hooks...ha ha.

7 weight rod seemed a bit light but was great for pinks. 8 weight was great for everything.

We had good lodging in Whale Pass, Coffman Cove and Craig. Got to see a fair bit of the island from the roads.

Good trip!

Reactions: Ard