Crazy Salmon

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a weird one for sure. About 8 or 9 years ago I had a rod snap 6" above the top cork when I made a cast. It was 28 degrees but I'd used them in much colder weather. No video but caught a rainbow of perhaps 20" with the broken rod after the cast. I wasn't in as bad of shape as that fellow, looks like he had 3 or more pieces to deal with. I just put the broken length under my grip on the cork and reeled in the fish.

That video gives credence to my strategy for landing salmon. First thing I do while the fish is figuring out that something is up is to get myself out of the water if possible. I don't think I've ever tried catching salmon in a circumstance where I have no reasonable egress from the river.

Boat is hooked up and it's 45 degrees here this morning, I'll catch up with you guys tonight :)

huronfly

Reaction score
Wow that was crazy! Last year while me and a bud were steelhead fishing, he hooked into a fresh fish just below me and this fish decided to head upstream towards me, repetitively leaping, it nearly jumped right into my arms! I could have probably hugged it in the air if I had tried, instead I just reached my hand out and gave it a little mid-air pet lol.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I lost two steelhead similar to that last fall. I`m Fighting the steelhead and fish is down river a short distance coming in there is no slack water on the run and its fairly swift, the steelhead runs at me and comes flying out of the water, but in my instances the fish never made it to my rod tip.

But they got off so it works for them and they know it.