Cumberland Gap

JDR

Reaction score
I am planning to spend a few days at Cumberland Gap National Park. I would appreciate any informaiton about fishing opportunities in that area. I have a Tennessee fishing license so I would prefer to use that. But, if there is signifiant water near there in Virginia or Kentucky that would be fine too. I am not dedicated to trout. A small mouth bass habitat would be fine. I hope to go there in late June or July. Thanks in advance for your help.

jayr

Reaction score
There's not much trout(if any) up there from my understanding. The upper reaches of the Powell river are close by. It is what eventually forms with the Clinch to form Norris lake. My best guess is, mostly warm water fishing. The water on the KY side is sparse, at least good water to fish.

There is also not a lot of public water in that area.

Last edited:

JDR

Reaction score
Thanks jayr. That probably explains why I have never heard about much fishing in that area. Guess I will just take my bicycle and forget about the (lack of) fishing. I often forget how spoiled I am living in WNC.

jayr

Reaction score
Eastern KY doesn’t have near the fishing, and especially trout fishing opportunities as does East TN and WNC. Extreme SW VA is in the boat with KY as well. Not only does elevation have a lot to do with it, all of the coal mining that took place in that area has been a detriment to the natural streams there for the last 150 or so years.

Beartown Lodge

Reaction score
Jayr’s info is spot on, and you may already be on your way or at Cumberland Gap, but I’ll add my local knowledge. You’re best bet for trout will be at Pennington Gap, VA in the Powell River. Pretty sure they stock along the reach inside the town park. There’s a greenway and decent access there. Might find a smallie or two as well. For Tennessee fishing, the Clinch is good bass water but also a BIG river down that way. We fish the Clinch further up in VA and it’s terrific smallmouth water. If you’re going toward Knoxville one day, fishing the Clinch tailwater below Norris dam is good trout water, but be sure to check the flows on the TVA app! Hope that helps and all the best!