Curiosity about 3 wt reel

Blu4415

Reaction score
My 3wt reel is more vintage than bling but at the time of production it was the top the line in the reel series.
The 3wt fly gear is when you can cut loose on aesthetics because the requirements are not that demanding and if you hunt second hand you can pick up a great deal. I would much rather have a older unique quality reel then the run of the mill new reel at around the same price.
Thank you that is good advice and I will keep that in mind.

Sent from my LM-Q620 using Tapatalk

Blu4415

Reaction score
Everything has pretty much been said, so I'll only add if you are looking on eBay, keep an eye out for the Battenkill BBS reels -they're machined aircraft aluminum, and will last a lifetime. You should be able to get one in very good condition for about the same price as a new regular Battenkill. And for a 3wt, the BBS 2 is what you want. I had a few extra myself but sold them awhile back. Spend what you are comfortable with and best of luck!
Thanks I will keep my eye out for that. I appreciate you reaching out

LOC

Reaction score
Thank you for your input. I will keep in mind the 3oz mark. I agree that when something is visually pleasing it may be more fun to fish with. If I am being honest though at this point, I love fly fishing so much I would use my pockets as mentioned earlier. I am just happy to be alive and be able to fish everyday and as of right now I can't ask for more than that.

I think for a lot of us who have been at it for 10- 20- 30 plus years having a nice balanced aesthetic rig is a way to show appreciation for the sport. It's not something that happens overnight. It comes with being immersed in the sport for a while. You'll start to formulate what your personal aesthetics are when certain rods and reels start to catch your eye. At some point in the journey it will get beyond just catching fish on the fly.

Blu4415

Reaction score
Loc that makes perfect sense. As with all things the new wears off and your taste refine over time.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
I am new to fly fishing. You can look up my introduction post. It was not very long ago. Since then I have been using a 6wt setup. Been looking at getting a 3 wt for small creek panfish and trout around here.

The question is cost! All I here is the 3 wt reel is a glorified line holder. That make sense to me, no need for some state of the art drag system. So battenkill 1 or 2 would be fine I would imagine.

Back to the question when you buy a 300 or 400 dollar reel for a 3wt, what is the reason?
Is is brand loyalty? Status? Does it last longer/ quality better than say a battenkill?

Not being a hater, I would like to know the answer so I know if it is worth it to save up for a few months. Or just get what I can afford now.

This forum has helped me a ton on my journey so far, as a group you are an invaluable asset to someone starting out.

..status only....google fly reels for sale the maxcatch ' tail ' reel is a great buy..i have 4 of them...they are also the same real as the TFO reels

Blu4415

Reaction score
..status only....google fly reels for sale the maxcatch ' tail ' reel is a great buy..i have 4 of them...they are also the same real as the TFO reels
Thank you. I will look into those as well. Speaking of TFO I saw one of their NXT reels on sale for 59 bucks the other day so that wouldn't be a bad grab either.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
Thank you. I will look into those as well. Speaking of TFO I saw one of their NXT reels on sale for 59 bucks the other day so that wouldn't be a bad grab either.

its a great reel made in the same factory as the tail.. it is the same reel i have both,all the parts interchange

Blu4415

Reaction score
its a great reel made in the same factory as the tail.. it is the same reel i have both,all the parts interchange
Thanks for the heads up. I am on google now checking them out.

proheli

Reaction score
Haha. You mean YOU may be ______ (fill in your own negative choice of words) and buy things for status reasons only, but speak for yourself. None of the guys i hang out with are like that. I certainly haven't bought any of my fly reels for status purposes, not in the least.

P.S. I don't have a Battenkill, but i do think they are a handsome reel.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Haha. You mean YOU may be ______ (fill in your own negative choice of words) and buy things for status reasons only, but speak for yourself. None of the guys i hang out with are like that. I certainly haven't bought any of my fly reels for status purposes, not in the least.

P.S. I don't have a Battenkill, but i do think they are a handsome reel.
Exactly. I don't buy for status. I buy what I like. Kinda like putting my money into restoring an Alfa Romeo. I do it cause I like it.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
Exactly. I don't buy for status. I buy what I like. Kinda like putting my money into restoring an Alfa Romeo. I do it cause I like it.
my g/f knows i will never cheat on her.... money goes to the alfa romeo or trips with here.. and when not at home, she can always find ne.. car or fly fishing... anyways its not really a resto.. i personal challange to install a 2005 gm 2.2 ecotec and w/c t5 transmission into the car.. had to make custom bellhousing out of 2 different one's.... figger out a clutch system, ecu wiring, what i need to run the engine.. and what i did not need,, engine, transmission mounts... coolent set up. etc, cut out the trans tunnel, and make a new one.. complex shapes.. redesigning the rear axle location form T bar to panhard set up, to lower the rear axle roll center.. raise the front roll center up 2 inches ( oem.. the roll centre is underground..not the best place to be ) and all new dashboard, to make it look oem..not a amature look.. all the brakes up rated from oem to 12.19 inch vented disk 2 peice system with brembo calipers from a 2001 porsche boxster on all 4 corners( not off the shelf that you can buy.. i must design the mounts etc..

Last edited:

Blu4415

Reaction score
Before I sign off for the night. I appreciate everyone's input and advice. As I said in the original post this group is a huge help for me in easing my learning curve. Best to you all.