Curiosity about 3 wt reel

alfaromeo

Reaction score
It is just that this debate about how people decide to spend their money is getting old. It seems there is much disdain for anyone who likes to buy products that happen to cost more than others, regardless of their reasons. This has spanned multiple threads.
i will be more carefull

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many decent reels in the 100 - 150 dollar range for light rods. As far as them being line holders, all reels are line holders but I learned to get my line on the reel and to use it to reel in the fish long ago. Only the smallest fish are brought to me by pulling the line by hand. As things turned out being in the habit of getting the fish on the reel and playing them in that way paid off big for me. I've been fishing for salmon and large trout for a few decades now and knowing how to work with single action fly reels is very important with large fish.

Those new Pflueger Medalist reels seem to be both traditional and affordable, maybe one of them?

Staflyguy

Reaction score
On my 1wt and 3wt, I have less expensive reels, one is the battenkill as you mentioned. Technology in the reel manufacturing is amazing these days vs. 20 years ago. Kelly galloup has a good video on you tube about reels And their attributes. There is a saying in skiing ‘you marry your boots but date your skis’..kinda finding that in fly fishing. Marrying my reel and dating my rods.

HNS

Reaction score
As a long time 3 wt. pan fish angler, I definitely would encourage you to get a 3 wt. I have been using an 8'6" Sage DS2 paired with a Ross Cimarron 1 for the past 17 years, and have found that the combo has worked quite well together for midwestern panfish and small trout streams everywhere. Panfish on a 3 wt. are a blast, and I have used and used this rod and reel. One comment with regards to a 3 wt. reel, depending on where you are fishing, and if there is a chance to hook something a bit bigger than you are targeting, consider something with a bit more drag. My 3 wt. has managed a few 10-12" bass and crappie hookups, but a lesser reel might have been toast.

Ringneck16

Reaction score
I sure like the look and feel of nicely machined reels. That said my 3wt reel is a 2-3 Okuma SLV.

pmh_usa

Reaction score
No doubt I'll run the gauntlet of rathe for being a new member, but also for bringing up a sore subject with most and that's the foreign market. Most if not all of the big name sellers of branded fly reels have them CNC-machined by small to medium size companies in China (mainland) or Taiwan (Nationalist China). These same companies will produce and sell the exact products for much less than what the branded items sell for. You can find them on Ebay. They tend to do them all: small, medium, and wide arbor with varying spool widths and speaking of spools, inexpensive spares are readily available also. All that I've bought are CNC-machined, anodized, reversible, ball-bearing stainless drags. I probably have accumulated twenty or so for line weights from 9wt to 0wt. Just a few below. The one on the far left is a 60mm reel for 0wt 5'2" brookie bush rod. The point I'm making is that you can get many of them from $20 to $40 and try them out for little money, searching for what fits best for your needs.

Attachments

Nonno

Reaction score
On a "traditional " fly reel (crank is attached to the spool, and not a multiplier) the drag only works when you take your hand away from the crank. If you are actively cranking in line there is no way for line to be pulled off of the spool.

I had this discussion with a friend who loved Lamson reels for their superb drag. He actually thought that the drag was working while he was reeling in. I proved it to him by pulling his rod out of his hands while spilling my shot of bourbon.

So even if you hook a 20" Brown on a 3 wt with that beautiful Battenkill clicker you can add drag with your palm.

pmh_usa

Reaction score
Hatidua, I meant no disrespect to any of the prestige or high end reel makers - not sure which totally manufacture their reels domestically or inhouse so to speak; however, it is commonplace for US manufacturers in competitive markets to internationally outsource part to almost all of the actual production process to countries like China where relative costs are much less. Following the question that the originator of this post asked related to the cost of reels, I was pointing out that there are some inexpensive good deals available beyond the traditional domestic marketplace. My choice of words "big name" applies to the brands you named - Tibor/Galvan/Hatch/Pate/Abel/Ross - and I sincerely consider them about as good quality as one can get. My use of the word "brand" was from the perspective of trade name, label, etc. versus the "unbranded" or no-name reels that I find from foreign sellers on Ebay.

Jecox

Reaction score
I bought a Battenkill I for my 3wt rod. I like its looks and light weight. But leader or tippet often gets caught inside the reel because of a gap of maybe 1/16” between the spool and frame. I don’t have enough experience with more expensive reels, but I would hope that they don’t have such shoddy build quality. I’m thinking of checking out a Ross Colorado for that reason.

LOC

Reaction score
I bought a Battenkill I for my 3wt rod. I like its looks and light weight. But leader or tippet often gets caught inside the reel because of a gap of maybe 1/16” between the spool and frame. I don’t have enough experience with more expensive reels, but I would hope that they don’t have such shoddy build quality. I’m thinking of checking out a Ross Colorado for that reason.
To avoid the issue (100%) you are having is buy a reel with a closed frame. A good example of that for a Trout reel would be a Danielsson Original. Old Tioga reels that can be found relatively inexpensive (used) also would be another choice. It may be hard to track one down though in a 3wt size. Hardy Marquis are also another option for a closed caged reel. You’ll have to do a little homework and pay attention to actual reel weight as in ounces to find the right balance for your 3wt rod when selecting If that matters to you.69015F58-4089-4BE1-87CA-AE9030D541F8.jpeg
Danielsson

Last edited:

alfaromeo

Reaction score
To avoid the issue (100%) you are having is buy a reel with a closed frame. A good example of that for a Trout reel would be a Danielsson Original. Old Tioga reels that can be found relatively inexpensive (used) also would be another choice. It may be hard to track one down though in a 3wt size. Hardy Marquis are also another option for a closed caged reel. You’ll have to do a little homework and pay attention to actual reel weight as in ounces to find the right balance for your 3wt rod when selecting If that matters to you.View attachment 39768
Danielsson
3 wt in the surf???

alfaromeo

Reaction score
To avoid the issue (100%) you are having is buy a reel with a closed frame. A good example of that for a Trout reel would be a Danielsson Original. Old Tioga reels that can be found relatively inexpensive (used) also would be another choice. It may be hard to track one down though in a 3wt size. Hardy Marquis are also another option for a closed caged reel. You’ll have to do a little homework and pay attention to actual reel weight as in ounces to find the right balance for your 3wt rod when selecting If that matters to you.View attachment 39768
Danielsson
this looks like a river stream outlet to the ocean. is this correct?

LOC

Reaction score
interesting.. can you please explain more..i use a 8 weight in the ocean up here.. pt. reyes, bodega bay are, rougher surf
The average setup for S.CA during the summer is a 6wt. Which works well for the conditions that are mostly calm especially in the mornings. So that’s a rod a newbie can use comfortably.

With this setup I’m fishing very specifically by sight fishing. This is lighter then most folks would fish with.
I also use a lighter line either floating or a intermediate. I sight fish in a different style then how others approach these fish. It’s just something I like to challenge myself with and it creates unique situations to getting bit.

The area I’m fishing has multiple kinds of setups from channels to typical open surf. Where I took the photo is not my primary target water. This is just a spot I make a few passes after I am done sight fishing.

I have fished the Bay Area for Stripers and I used a 7wt with a shooting head in those conditions.

Jecox

Reaction score
Danielsson
I haven’t seen Danielsson or Tioga reels locally, but there are two Hardy dealers. I’ll see if they have a Marquis in stock. Thanks!

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
I haven’t seen Danielsson or Tioga reels locally, but there are two Hardy dealers. I’ll see if they have a Marquis in stock. Thanks!
Danielsson are online only factory direct from Sweden.
Tioga reels are no longer made but are available on the auction site pretty often.
Marquis can be found in the original made in England version from the auction site or the new version which with is made in Korea.

I'm sure there are some open caged trout reels that have have better tolerances that don't have a problem with the line getting caught.
Hopefully somone will chime in who's had good experiences with open caged reels so you have more options to look at.

Jecox

Reaction score
Danielsson are online only factory direct from Sweden.
Tioga reels are no longer made but are available on the auction site pretty often.
Marquis can be found in the original made in England version from the auction site or the new version which with is made in Korea.

I'm sure there are some open caged trout reels that have have better tolerances that don't have a problem with the line getting caught.
Hopefully somone will chime in who's had good experiences with open caged reels so you have more options to look at.
Thanks. I prefer to buy something only if I’ve been able to check it out “in the flesh”. I should be able to find a Marquis locally, but you’re right. It would be nice to have multiple options. I’m a little biased in favor of Ross because they are made here in Colorado, but I’m not a zealot about that.

Reactions: LOC