Curiosity about 3 wt reel

Papafish

Reaction score
The new Pflueger Medalist 3/4 with Rio Creek line is what I use on my Fenwick Aetos 6' 3 wt. I am very happy with all 3.

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen Danielsson or Tioga reels locally, but there are two Hardy dealers. I’ll see if they have a Marquis in stock. Thanks!
I have a new Marquis LWT 6, and a Battenkill ll. They are the same open frame design and appear to have less than .015 clearance where the spool could contact the frame.

Jecox

Reaction score
I have a new Marquis LWT 6, and a Battenkill ll. They are the same open frame design and appear to have less than .015 clearance where the spool could contact the frame.
I may have gotten a lemon. I can bring the frame and spool closer by squeezing, but they won’t stay that way.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer to buy something only if I’ve been able to check it out “in the flesh”. I should be able to find a Marquis locally, but you’re right. It would be nice to have multiple options. I’m a little biased in favor of Ross because they are made here in Colorado, but I’m not a zealot about that.
I've never had a problem with tippet on a Ross Reel. I always leave about 6 inches sticking out when I reel it in. Always easy to find.
But I am definitely a Ross loyalist. So my input is very biased.

LOC

Reaction score
Thanks. I prefer to buy something only if I’ve been able to check it out “in the flesh”. I should be able to find a Marquis locally, but you’re right. It would be nice to have multiple options. I’m a little biased in favor of Ross because they are made here in Colorado, but I’m not a zealot about that.
When I was first trying to hunt down a 3wt reel I was bidding on a original Ross Colorado but got outbid...
Almost a Ross owner but it was not to be. :)
Good luck on the hunt!

Edit: I saw that the new Marquis are also still made in England not Korea.

Last edited:

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
I may have gotten a lemon. I can bring the frame and spool closer by squeezing, but they won’t stay that way.
I was trying to point out that the Marquis is the same design as the Battenkill. I prefer a full cage for this reason. I believe (just an educated guess really), that you will have the same trouble with a new Marquis LWT.

Jecox

Reaction score
I was trying to point out that the Marquis is the same design as the Battenkill. I prefer a full cage for this reason. I believe (just an educated guess really), that you will have the same trouble with a new Marquis LWT.
I think I need to read up on the difference between open and closed frame reels.

Jecox

Reaction score
Here is are two Hardy Marquis 6 reels with the open frame LWT on the right.

View attachment 39840
Aha! Are closed frame reels common? I can see how that could help.
On the other hand, I have never had the problem of tippet getting between the frame and spool with a Sage 2230, Lamson Liquid, or Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor, all open frame designs.

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
The new reels I have seen are mostly the new design. I am not knowledgeable about what new reels might be closed frame.

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
If (a big if) you can like the color, LL Bean has a nice clicker that is 3" diameter. I bought one when they called it the Pocket Water and was available in a silver color.

Jecox

Reaction score
Aha! Are closed frame reels common? I can see how that could help.
On the other hand, I have never had the problem of tippet getting between the frame and spool with a Sage 2230, Lamson Liquid, or Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor, all open frame designs.
Well, my wonderful brother bought me a 2/3 wt Galvan Brookie, so he took the decision out of my hands. Open frame so I hope it doesn’t have the same problem as the Battenkill. It sure is gorgeous.

LOC

Reaction score
Well, my wonderful brother bought me a 2/3 wt Galvan Brookie, so he took the decision out of my hands. Open frame so I hope it doesn’t have the same problem as the Battenkill. It sure is gorgeous.
Somewhere in the depth of the forum threads a gentleman posted about putting a dab of epoxy on the corners of the open frame and it solved his problem of the line getting trapped between the spool and frame.

If you have issues you may want to try that....

Jecox

Reaction score
Somewhere in the depth of the forum threads a gentleman posted about putting a dab of epoxy on the corners of the open frame and it solved his problem of the line getting trapped between the spool and frame.

If you have issues you may want to try that....
Interesting. Thanks!

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I still keep a 3wt SA Ultra line on my little Pflueger Medalist 1492, which I've had since the early 80s. My go-to 3wt reel now is a discontined platinum finish Redington CT 5/6, which I bought years ago on closeout and keep it loaded with a Wulff TTF3 line... wonderful combination.

I'm not fond of tiny reels, though --I'd much rather the reel be a size or two larger for building up the arbor diameter with backing.