Cut Throat Trout Pics

johan851

Reaction score
I ended up catching a much higher percentage of cutthroats this last time out than expected.

PXL_20200903_183148613.jpg

LePetomane

Reaction score
A shameless cell phone photo but it proves I was there. Taken with a Dave Norling 5 weight bamboo, Winston Perfect gray CDC Emerger on the Wyoming section of the Little Bighorn. What a bear of a place to access.

IMG_1257.jpg

LePetomane

Reaction score
This beast measured 19" and was my largest Cutthroat this year. It took a Piss Willie right on the bottom. I was fishing a Parachute Adams with the nymph at 18" below. Fot the waters I fish I don't go any deeper. These Cutthroats fight well. I find that the larger the fish, the more subtle the strike. Then the fun begins.

IMG_1259.jpg

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
This guy measured 22" and put up a hell of a fight. I used a size 18 Piss Willie Nymph about 18" off a dry fly. For some reason I took a stout 5 weight cane instead of the 4 weight I usually use on these waters and I'm glad I did. I apologize for the crappy photo but I was alone and had to get this fish back in the water.

IMG_1291.jpg

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
This guy measured 22" and put up a hell of a fight. I used a size 18 Piss Willie Nymph about 18" off a dry fly. For some reason I took a stout 5 weight cane instead of the 4 weight I usually use on these waters and I'm glad I did. I apologize for the crappy photo but I was alone and had to get this fish back in the water.

View attachment 26554
That's awesome!

justahack

Reaction score
Ok. I gotta know - what’s a piss willie nymph?! Nice fish, btw.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Justahack, the Piss Willie is a Brassie tied with green wire, peacock collar and a 3/32" bead on a size 16 Firehole 516 jig hook. The nice thing about it is that it will sink pretty fast without any additional weight and can be used in a dry/dropper combination without sinking the dry.

I was lucky to land this fish. Beavers are building a dam below where I hooked it and I had to keep it away from it.

justahack

Reaction score
Justahack, the Piss Willie is a Brassie tied with green wire, peacock collar and a 3/32" bead on a size 16 Firehole 516 jig hook. The nice thing about it is that it will sink pretty fast without any additional weight and can be used in a dry/dropper combination without sinking the dry.

I was lucky to land this fish. Beavers are building a dam below where I hooked it and I had to keep it away from it.
Sounds nice and buggy. Thanks!

LePetomane

Reaction score
Justahack, you're welcome. I rarely fish a dry fly without a nymph below it. I also tie it with brown wire. The green version probably resembles a caddis larva.

Here is the technique I use for wrapping the wire. The only differences between this and mine is that I add a bead and coat the wire with UV coating.

There is nothing like the feeling of catching a big fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Last edited:

justahack

Reaction score
The green version probably resembles a caddis larva.
I was thinking the same thing. I tie a fly with green and black wire and black tungsten head. Fish it with good results on caddis rivers around here. Thanks for the video. That’s a nice ribbing technique.