Cutthroat leaders

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Here is a quick video we had made to show the basics of the HI-Vis Nymph Leader.

The Hi-vis Nymph leader is for smaller flies. It will not suspend a large double bead-head stonefly nymph, but it will suspend a double nymph set-up of size 12-14 flies.
Most fishermen have their own way of rigging nymph set-ups. If you look on the forum, you will find some great info. I like to have the heavier fly first and then the smaller / lightweight fly attached to the bend of the hook of the heavy fly. In my opinion, this helps me eliminate tangles. Also, the heavy fly will get the flies down deep; the lite fly will swim naturally in the water.
A couple post back, someone mentioned using a hopper/dropper. I do this very often but not with the Hi-Vis nymph leader. I use a dry fly leader, attach a length of tippet (3-6'), then my dry fly (indicator). I then tie tippet to the bend of the hook on the dry fly and have a dropper hanging below. Depending on water depth/speed and casting ability, this dropper can go as deep as you like. Deeper in slow water as fast current will keep the dropper from getting very deep unless it is very heavily weighted (making casting a bear).

Last tip. Often you will be fishing slow / shallow water where that the Hi-Vis nymph leader really shines. Then you come to a deep pool with rough water. No need to change the leader. Simply attach a strike indicator to the end of the Hi-vis section (where it transitions to green). When you move back to slow water, remove the indicator and deliver flies with great presentation (no plops/spats of an indicator) to spooky fish in the shallows.

If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to email me directly. I check emails more often than I get onto the forum. Get out and fish…

[ame=http://vimeo.com/89554795]Fly Fishing Indicator Leader, what is it, how does it work. on Vimeo[/ame]

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Mike / Cutthroat Leaders;

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on my first sets of CTL's this weekend and received your Memorial Day flyer. Should I use the NAFFF or Memorial code at check out to support the forum and get the best discount (in that I need a few for 2, 3, 5, & 7wt)?

Also, the wife has been using her paypal thing lately, does the site accept that or just the standard credit card payment?

Thanks!

B.E.F.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
The "memorial" coupon code will be fine, as long as it is done before Monday night. Yes, we accept pay-pal. If after Monday, you can use nafff or nfff at checkout for the same 15%.

Have a great weekend. I am sitting here tying up some big & nasty articulated streamers for a Friday Trip to some local water. Hope to post pics when I return.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Here is a quick video we had made to show the basics of the HI-Vis Nymph Leader.

The Hi-vis Nymph leader is for smaller flies. It will not suspend a large double bead-head stonefly nymph, but it will suspend a double nymph set-up of size 12-14 flies.
Most fishermen have their own way of rigging nymph set-ups. If you look on the forum, you will find some great info. I like to have the heavier fly first and then the smaller / lightweight fly attached to the bend of the hook of the heavy fly. In my opinion, this helps me eliminate tangles. Also, the heavy fly will get the flies down deep; the lite fly will swim naturally in the water.
A couple post back, someone mentioned using a hopper/dropper. I do this very often but not with the Hi-Vis nymph leader. I use a dry fly leader, attach a length of tippet (3-6'), then my dry fly (indicator). I then tie tippet to the bend of the hook on the dry fly and have a dropper hanging below. Depending on water depth/speed and casting ability, this dropper can go as deep as you like. Deeper in slow water as fast current will keep the dropper from getting very deep unless it is very heavily weighted (making casting a bear).

Last tip. Often you will be fishing slow / shallow water where that the Hi-Vis nymph leader really shines. Then you come to a deep pool with rough water. No need to change the leader. Simply attach a strike indicator to the end of the Hi-vis section (where it transitions to green). When you move back to slow water, remove the indicator and deliver flies with great presentation (no plops/spats of an indicator) to spooky fish in the shallows.

If you have specific questions, please do not hesitate to email me directly. I check emails more often than I get onto the forum. Get out and fish…
Awesome thank you, that helps tons. I don't typically fish a lot of deep fast water so these should be perfect for 99% of what I do. I might now have to order a few more.:teef:

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Okay so as said above this weekend I'm going to go ahead and pull the triger on a bunch of these leaders, my intention being to fish nothing but this year to give them a solid try, and to that end I'd like some of you experts of these to give me your thoughts on my choices.

Rod-Line-Use-Species-Cutthroat Leader Choice(s):
Note: All leaders assumed to have Shorb Loop, advise please.

Rod = Orvis Trident-TL, 8'-4", 2wt., Mid-flex.
Line = Undetermined 2wt. DT-F
Use = Still waters (lakes, ponds), small streams (8"-4' depth), Dry Flies-Nymphs (tippet depth only), very small streamers.
Species = Sm.-Med. Trout, Panfish
CTL 0-3wt= (1) 76" Ultimate Dry Fly "INDICATOR", (1) 50" Short Rod "Shorty" Dry Fly Leader.

Rod = Orvis (HLS) Rocky Mtn. "Tippet", 7'-6", 3wt., Full-flex.
Line = Orvis "Spring Creek" 3wt. DT-F, Orvis Hydros "Easy Mend" (Nymphing) 3wt. WF-F.
Use = Still waters (lakes, ponds), small streams (8"-4' depth), Dry Flies-Nymphs (tippet depth only), very small streamers.
Species = Sm.-Med. Trout, Panfish
CTL 0-3wt= (1) 76" Ultimate Dry Fly "INDICATOR", (1) 50" Short Rod "Shorty" Dry Fly Leader.

Rod = Orvis HLS "Big Horn Special", 8'-6", 5wt., High Mid.-flex.
Line = Orvis Hydros "Easy Mend" (Nymphing) 5wt. WF-F, Undetermined 5wt. WF-F/S 10' type III, Cortland 333 7wt. WF-F, Cortland 333 7wt. WF-F/S 15' type III
Use = Still waters (lakes, ponds), large streams, rivers (2'-15' depth), Dry Flies, Nymphs, lt. weighted nymphs, small-med. streamers.
Species = med.-large Trout, Pike, sm. Bass....General everything rod.
CTL 4-6wt= (1) 76" Ultimate Dry Fly "INDICATOR", (1) 50" Hi-Vis Leader, (1) 50" Reinforced/Hybrid Nymph Leader.

Rod = Orvis HLS-2 "All Rounder", 9'-0", 7wt., Mid.-flex.
Line = Undetermined 7wt. WF-F/S 15' type III ???
Use = Still waters (lakes, ponds), fast rivers (3'-15' depth), Med.-large (single hook, 3"-6") streamers, heavy weighted large nymphs.
Species = med.-large Trout, Steelhead, Grt.Lk. Salmon, Pike/Musky, Bass.
CTL 7-8wt= (1) 36" Streamer (big flies) w/Fluoro&swivel, (1) ?" Reinforced Thread Streamer Leader.
EDIT: Wherein I was initially thinking a 15' sink tip line, after a bit of reading on the forum I'm wondering if perhaps a basic WF-F line would be my better choice, and if worse comes to worse use sinking tips between the line and leaders (though I have had hinging issues in the past).
This line is to have one use above all others....Fishing for Bull Trout and larger trout on varied waters in the Clearwater Nat. Forest, and other large streamer waters in Mt./Id./Wy.........Advice appreciated!

(1) Tin of Otter Butter

Other two rods see minimal to no use so will not be rigged.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions anyone can render!

B.E.F.

Last edited:

hairwing530

Reaction score
beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan
AAAAA+++++ for Mike's leaders. I've been fishing the Cutthroat leaders for more than a year or so, and I seriously doubt that I'll be looking elsewhere anytime soon. Great stuff, and Mike's a great guy to deal with...

By the way, Mike... liked the video...

Have a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day weekend, everyone...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
grtlksmarlin,
regarding the streamer leader. If you are throwing big flies, like articulated stuff, the 36" fluoro / streamer leader is the best choice. We sell tons of reinforced thread 36" leaders to guys chasing steelhead/ salmon in the east. They turn over great, are very durable, but are not great with very "Heavy" flies. We also sell many of these reinforced thread leaders with a swivel to spey fishers on sinking tips. These guys/gals only use about 18" of tippet on the end of the 36" leader. Typically, the setup is floating line, 6-10' of T11 sink , the leader and then tippet. There are few guides I deal with chasing Steel in the Clearwater and that is their system. Feel free to email me directly at [email protected] if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing what others have to say.
Thank you much.

obrien33

Reaction score
Just placed my order and can't wait to get out and try them. I have been looking for something with less memory than a standard mono tapered leader and all the research I have done looks promising.

hunter1

Reaction score
I posted before on CTL's. Iv'e used the nymphing leader. Loved it, casting improved with Larger nymphs, double nymph rigs. Now I'm getting ready to use the dry fly indicator leader.Can't wait.:D

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
..........if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing what others have to say.
Received my order today arriving quickly as though expedited though just standard shipping, everything included and correct.

Thanks for such great service! Hopefully in a couple weeks I can share some feedback.

B.E.F.