Daiwa 7 1/2 rod (part number 3044n)

Kool-Breeze

Reaction score
Just starting out learning to fly fish (cycling, golf, and fishing seem to be activities during Covid, but getting less trusting of cycling and golf).

Inherited a Daiwa 7 1/2 rod (part number 3044n). It also has an enclosed Martin reel (but rusted), so looking to get a new reel (thoughts on that would be appreciated too).

Is the rod any good?

It looks like all new reels are not enclosed like the Martin was - is that true and why?

I see a Redington Crosswater 7/8/9 reel prespooled with 8 weight line for $71.99 - is that a good deal?

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum.

The rod should have some labeling on the butt near the grip which will indicate the prescribed line weight. This may be a straight forward number like 5-6-7-etc or depending on vintage of the rod it could be letters such as HBH or something to that effect.

Reels are many and the price ranges as well so lets find out what line the rod requires first.

silver creek

Reaction score
Just starting out learning to fly fish (cycling, golf, and fishing seem to be activities during Covid, but getting less trusting of cycling and golf).

Inherited a Daiwa 7 1/2 rod (part number 3044n). It also has an enclosed Martin reel (but rusted), so looking to get a new reel (thoughts on that would be appreciated too).

Is the rod any good?

It looks like all new reels are not enclosed like the Martin was - is that true and why?

I see a Redington Crosswater 7/8/9 reel prespooled with 8 weight line for $71.99 - is that a good deal?
Sounds like an automatic fly reel that used to be popular.

They are usually made of stamped metal and knob to wind up and internal spring and a lever to actuate the spring to retrieve line. Does the reel look anything like this:

Reactions: Ard

jayr

Reaction score
The Redington Crosswater might be a good deal, if it fits what you are fishing for.

What type of fish and where are you planning on fishing for them?

Kool-Breeze

Reaction score
The Redington Crosswater might be a good deal, if it fits what you are fishing for.

What type of fish and where are you planning on fishing for them?
Nothing on the butt of the rod. Does say 7 1/2 on the actual rod so assumed that was the weight.

I would like to try to catch some bass in near by ponds first.

silver creek

Reaction score
The reel looks somewhat like that. Here is a picture.
1EDC9DA1-DB18-47FF-BCCD-EAF01158F634.jpg

It looks to me like the reel is mounted backwards on the rod.

It is mounted as a right hand retrieve and if you wind the reel clockwise in the photo below, the line would go OUT instead of IN.

I have flipped the photo so the reel is hanging down like we are used to seeing it and now it is obvious that the line is going the wrong way.

1EDC9DA1-DB18-47FF-BCCD-EAF01158F634.jpg

brownbass

Reaction score
I have a Diawa 7 1/2' 6 wt graphite rod I picked up in the '80s. It was one of two rods I had that I used when I started fly fishing again. It makes a nice bass rod for creeks and ponds.

Bill